Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Books - Printed Cover?

Why don't my hardcover books include the option of a printed cover? All I can see when editing the book is the dust jacket. The Aperture web site clearly shows a printed cover, and the book title printed on the spine, yet I can't see any way of including these in my book design. Using Aperture 3.5.1 and OSX 10.9.2

There must be a simple answer to this, does anybody have it?

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 11:25 PM

10 replies

Apr 30, 2014 11:57 PM in response to léonie

Yes, I realise that the dust jacket will be the same as the cover, and that is fine, but my problem is that the cover is not printed at all. The book is printed with a plain cover and a printed jacket. And there is nowhere to add the title of the book to the spine (of either the cover or the dust jacket). I am beginning to wonder if this is a limitation/restriction of the New Zealand store, and that this service is not availablel here.

May 1, 2014 12:39 AM in response to léonie

Using the "Dust Jacket Spread Cover" page design for the cover, there is only a title field, no field for the spine, but the title will appear on the spine in the preview of the book:

The title page in Aperture:

User uploaded file

And in the preview generated by "Preview book" in the "Buy Book" panel:

User uploaded file

Or are you using the "default" cover and not the "Dust Jacket Spread Cover"? But even with the default cover you should be seeing the cover in addition to the dust jacket in the preview.

May 1, 2014 12:52 AM in response to Neil_P

But does the "Preview" of your book (see: iPhoto, Aperture: Previewing an order in iPhoto or Aperture) show the spine and the photo cover? All previews I am creating - with default cover or spread cover will show the dust jacket, the photo cover and the printed spine on both. Perhaps you have old themes installed, if these items don't show in the preview. I tested with the "Journal" theme and the "Picture Book" theme. Which theme are you using?

Whatever I enter into the title text box on the title page will change what I am seeing on the spine. It is not just an ordenary text field. It is linked to the spine.

User uploaded file

May 1, 2014 1:35 AM in response to léonie

I think this points to the solution. It seems you must have a title entered on the cover page (dust jacket) in order for the cover itself to be printed.

When I tested a new book layout with a title inserted, as you have done, it worked. It also worked in iPhoto. For my book, my cover was an edge-to-edge borderless image which incorporated an embedded title, so no text actually entered into the text field. I appreciate that this would mean that the title would not appear on the spine, but it seems that a title is also required to generate a printed cover. As soon as I do that, a cover appears in the print preview pdf. So that is the difference. I used the 'modern lines' template and it has worked perfectly this way. So the issue seems to be that you cannot customise your dust jacket and not include a title. This image was previously used as my front cover, text embedded. I will now have to modify the dust jacket layout, using normal text instead.

User uploaded file

May 1, 2014 1:46 AM in response to Neil_P

It seems you must have a title entered on the cover page (dust jacket) in order for the cover itself to be printed.

That looks like a bug.

If text fields are empty, the text fields should be suppressed, but not the complete page with the photos as well.

I'd file a bug report - use this form:

Apple - Aperture - Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback/aperture.html

Aperture Books - Printed Cover?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.