FORCE IPAD INTO RECOVERY MODE
1. Turn off iPad
2. Turn on computer and launch iTunes (make sure you have the latest version of iTune)
3. Plug USB cable into computer's USB port
4. Hold Home button down and plug the other end of cable into docking port.
DO NOT RELEASE BUTTON until you see picture of iTunes and plug
5. Release Home button.
6. iTunes has detected iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTunes.
7. Select "Restore iPad"...
1. Data will be lost if you do not have backup
2. You must follow step 1 to step 4 VERY CLOSELY.
Is there a default password that gets set when restored?
Try the Passcode you use for the Screen Lock.
My ipad crashed during iOS 7.1.1 update. Had to restore it.
1: Connect the device to Your computer and open iTunes.
2: If the device appears in iTunes, select and click Restore on the Summary pane.
Restoring > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414
3: If the device doesn't appear in iTunes, try using the Steps in this article to force the device into Recovery Mode.
Make sure you have the Current Version of iTunes Installed on your computer
- iTunes free download from www.itunes.com/download
Note on Recovery Mode.
You may need to try this More than Once... Be sure to Follow ALL the Steps...
After you have Recovered your Device...
Re-Sync your Content or Restore from the most Recent Backup...
Restore from Backup > http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766