Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not seem to back up my iPhone 5s, error message is: iTunes cannot back up this iPhone because not enough free space is available on this computer

I can not seem to back up my iPhone 5s, error message is: iTunes cannot back up this iPhone because not enough free space is available on this computer

There is plenty of space over 260gb

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 1, 2014 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 4:36 PM

I have been having same problem off and on since the end of March.

I've been through more steps than i care to count and I'm at the point where i believe the issue to be related to applemobiledevice helper.

I'm on win7 64 bit. hard drive has about 300 gigs free, the error thrown seems wrong given the amount of free space I have available.

I recently uninstalled itunes and apple mobile device helper, restarted pc and the sync worked... for about 2 days.

then the error cropped up again.

Next I tried unplugging my phone from computer and then simply stopping the apple mobile device helper exe (in task manager).

back ups resumed. I will be continuing to monitor the situation for a few days to see if any other obvious factors come out. I'm guessing that the issue lies within that exe somewhere and that some other application is causing it to fail and throw the error. Maybe it's RAM availability? I'm not sure yet but as mentioned, i'm going to continue to watch. I'm curious if the same works for anyone else out there (or if it works on a Mac)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2015 4:36 PM in response to yshabir

I have been having same problem off and on since the end of March.

I've been through more steps than i care to count and I'm at the point where i believe the issue to be related to applemobiledevice helper.

I'm on win7 64 bit. hard drive has about 300 gigs free, the error thrown seems wrong given the amount of free space I have available.

I recently uninstalled itunes and apple mobile device helper, restarted pc and the sync worked... for about 2 days.

then the error cropped up again.

Next I tried unplugging my phone from computer and then simply stopping the apple mobile device helper exe (in task manager).

back ups resumed. I will be continuing to monitor the situation for a few days to see if any other obvious factors come out. I'm guessing that the issue lies within that exe somewhere and that some other application is causing it to fail and throw the error. Maybe it's RAM availability? I'm not sure yet but as mentioned, i'm going to continue to watch. I'm curious if the same works for anyone else out there (or if it works on a Mac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.