Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie and OSX

I really hope someone can help me.

I recently purchased a brand new MacBook Pro. I had an older MacBook that I used for photo editing, movie and slideshow making. I recently filmed a wedding and thought it was a great opportunity to use the new Mac. I worked for hours editing video only to realize that apple no longer includes iDVD so I could not burn my iMovie to disc . My husband, trying to find solutions to my problem, read lots of discussions about using a program called Pacifist to extract an older version of iDVD off of my applications disc from my older Mac. However, upon doing so, iMovie no longer works and says it cannot be supported by this version of the osx. How can I rectify this? Did I lose my entire edited video? I'm kind of panicked here. Please help!

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 1, 2014 4:07 AM

15 replies

May 1, 2014 5:13 AM in response to a brody

I did save a shared version to a thumb drive. Unfortunately, I don't think the whole thing fit in it. Is what I saved, which was playable by QuickTime, going to go back into the same format on iMovie? Also, how do I get iMovie working again? It's saying this version is not compatible. I'm really not sure what my husband did ...

May 1, 2014 10:16 AM in response to FoxyMaven

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/ should be able to tell you where anything that exists on your machine is hiding.

Anything that does not, needs to be extracted from the disk it came on using http://www.charlessoft.com/ Pacifist, or its own installer.

iMovie is a part of the iLife bundle. iDVD is part of iLife on physical disc iLife version 11. The App Store version does not include iDVD.

May 2, 2014 1:11 AM in response to tbirdvet

I use the new iMovie 10 because it works better with Aperture as a movie clip database. Imovie 09 refused to access Aperture properly. I use imovie turn my miscellaneous camera and phone clips into mp4 longer movies of around ten minutes. IDVD 7 (from iLife 09 or 11) then will stitch up to 12 of these easily into a playable DVD. There is no need to use the imovie to idvd sharing process. Idvd has a great magic dvd process to create the themed dvd in minutes.

The only snag I found was in the links above, iDVD does not live well alongside Aperture movie database, it crashes, and I need to point Aperture to a dummy empty library whilst iDVD is working, (or I could keep movie clips somewhere else).

May 5, 2014 8:41 AM in response to FoxyMaven

Ok, somehow he managed to get the movie back, newest version of imovie AND keep iDVD. However, when I go to share my movie in iMovie, it gives me the message: Video Rendering Error 60. Anyone know what the deal is? Can't burn to disc if I can't share. Thankful that I was able to retrieve all of my hard work but it doesn't do much good if I can't do anything with it 😟

May 6, 2014 7:42 AM in response to LD150

The movie is about 37 minutes long. I have tried every option. Last night I broke it into 4 segments and tried to upload each of them. All of them uploaded except for the last one. I know my problem is in the last segment but I would still like to use some of that footage as it's pretty important to the video. It's still saying it's a rendering issue.

iMovie and OSX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.