Related Article: About AirPrint

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airprint using CUPS

I'm running Ubuntu linux (14.04) with CUPS and a non-airprint printer (an expensive one that I'd rather not replace). It appears in the print menus for my ios7 devices but nothing actually prints (I get a message that the printer is offline).

The CUPS logs show that no attempt was made to access CUPS. Running avahi with an airprint service doesn't appear to make a difference.

Any suggestions?

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 1, 2014 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2014 5:13 PM

I am having a nearly identical problem. I am running Enterprise Linux 6 with CUPS. After setting up avahi and opening up the firewall on 5353, the printer attached to the host does appear on our ios 7.1.1 (iphone 4s) device. We can select the printer, and it appears to start the process of sending the job to the printer, but nothing happens. After a minute or so, an error message appears on the phone saying the printer is offline.

The printer is NOT offline, and we are using it without incident as a shared cups resource that shows up for selection without too much trouble on other systems (meaning, it seems to be "advertised"). However, there is no indication that any print request is coming over to the host, based on the absence of any entries for requests from the iphone in the cups logs on the server.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2014 5:13 PM in response to Gunter von Sachsen-Coburg

I am having a nearly identical problem. I am running Enterprise Linux 6 with CUPS. After setting up avahi and opening up the firewall on 5353, the printer attached to the host does appear on our ios 7.1.1 (iphone 4s) device. We can select the printer, and it appears to start the process of sending the job to the printer, but nothing happens. After a minute or so, an error message appears on the phone saying the printer is offline.

The printer is NOT offline, and we are using it without incident as a shared cups resource that shows up for selection without too much trouble on other systems (meaning, it seems to be "advertised"). However, there is no indication that any print request is coming over to the host, based on the absence of any entries for requests from the iphone in the cups logs on the server.

Jun 23, 2014 6:47 PM in response to Gunter von Sachsen-Coburg

The solution that solve this for me was to enable printer sharing in Cups.

1. Connect to the cups management interface using your browser: http://localhost:631 (assuming that your browser is running on your cups server)

2. Click on "Administration" in the top menu bar

3. Under the "Server" section there is an option to "share printers connected to this system". Click the adjacent box to enable this option.

4. Cllck the "Save settings" button at the bottom of the "Server" section. You will be asked to authenticate using the root username and password.

That's it!

Airprint using CUPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.