Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water damaged iPhone - how to delete iCloud?

Hello, my iPhone has been water damaged and will not turn on. I'm looking to sell it to a phone recycling company, but they all need iCloud to be removed before they will accept it. Does anyone know how I go about deleting icloud when I can't turn it on? I saw on another discussion on here that someone had suggested using the erase all data function through find my iPhone - the problem with this is that it will not delete the data until the phone is connected to the internet, which of course I am unable to do! Can anyone suggest how to delete icloud? Thanks in advance.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1, Water damaged, will not turn on.

Posted on May 1, 2014 9:07 AM

13 replies

Sep 3, 2015 11:29 AM in response to Anthony Hobbs

i hope that someone can help or give me a definite answer, its along the same lines as op, now im trying to send the phone back to the insurance company as part of a replacement swap. i need both turned off or im going to be fined 500.00 when i send the phone back in. now the phone is completely broke, water damage im guessing. is turning off "find my iphone" and turning off the activation lock only possible if the phone itself can be turned on/connected to the web? it wont connect to itunes which already knew that wasn't going to work. so am i just sol? did apple just cost me an extra 500.00 because of this stupid feature,

Oct 27, 2015 12:08 PM in response to xAcidburn195x

First, you MUST stop trying to connect it to anything. By connecting it to a USB or power outlet, you are risking even more damage. Water damage does a range of things like possible fusing the LCD together, burning or melting circuits and chips and even causing copper circuits to explode or pop. You phone may be repairable but will surely not be if you keep applying power.

Attempted repair will be much cheaper than the cost of giving them back. I found your issue while searching for water damaged phones. What I would do is give it to a phone repair service to be recovered or repaired. They will be able to clean the parts and assess the total damage and then either fix it or tell you how much it will cost to fix. Then you can get access to the UI and erase the iCloud from the phones and even resell. That is the only way to recover any money or at least save a bit.

DixonPhoneDr.com are pretty good to ship your phones to. I know at the minimum they will clean and access your phone for free. Then if it is close to repairable they will send you an estimate for the parts that they deem need replacing. You have to approve the cost estimate prior to them doing any work. Then they simply repair and send the phones back. Too easy.

Water damaged iPhone - how to delete iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.