Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Express or Extreme keeps dropping internet connection

Ok, here's the deal. I have a Airport Extreme (which my internet connection is hooked in to - cable modem...roadrunner) and I have a Airport Express. There is no encryption on it right now.

Randomly, and I mean randomly, my internet connection does not work on my MacBook Pro. I have to reset both when this happens and reset their setting once again.

I can connect to them, it just does not have internet connection when I do it. However, another computer is hooked up to the Extreme directly and it connects with no problem.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.7), Airport Extreme and Express

Posted on Aug 26, 2006 8:16 AM

5 replies

Aug 26, 2006 8:28 AM in response to RyanWAdams

I have the same "dropping" problem. Just started, in earnest, on my current road trip. Had a couple of droppings before I left home, and am now experiencing almost full time dropping on the road. At two houses where other computers are having no problem with their onsite airports.

Just to be sure it wasn't a router problem at any of the locations, I have done the unplug, replug, restart "dance" several times --- to no avail.

It is now at the point where I can only hold my connection for a half-minute of so at a time before it is dropped.

My cable company (comcast) assures me it is a computer problem.

p.s. Just talked to one of my sons --- and he suggests I try to reseat the airport card, just to make sure it isn't a "card loose" problem -- or he said it could be a defunct card problem. (I had to buy a refurbished card when I got my airport because Apple was no longer manufacturing the card I needed for my G4.)

Appreciate all help!

Aug 26, 2006 9:02 AM in response to RyanWAdams

If you connect your MBP directly, with an Ethernet cable, to your Roadrunner modem, do you still experience the dropped connections?

If no, try connecting your MBP directly to your AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBS) LAN port. How about now?

If the dropped connections stop in the last two configuration, then the issue may be with the wireless connection between the AEBS and your MBP. ...and, if this is the case, there are several settings that can be tweaked. Like trying other channels in case there is other 2.4 GHz interference nearby.

Aug 26, 2006 9:58 AM in response to RyanWAdams

It really sounds like an interference (ref: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58543) problem, especially since you have your cordless phone base near the AEBS. Again, try changing channels on the AEBS, you may find one that will give you the best connection stability. Another option is to enable Interference Robustness on both the AEBS and Mac.

On the Mac: System Preferences > Network > AirPort > Options
On the AEBS: AirPort Admin Utility > AirPort > Wireless Options

You can ask your neighbor to see if he is willing to change channels on his router as well. Also, reducing the antenna gain could help as most are set at 100% power.

Express or Extreme keeps dropping internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.