Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does "network not available" on ipad settings mean when it is possible to connect to WiFi?

While I can connect my ipad to the WiFi network and access the internet, it still says under Settings/General "network not available". What does this mean?

When connecting the same ipad to my iMac via cable to manually transfer files, this is not possible, and I keep getting the message that the ipad is not connected.

I'm puzzled about this. How can this problem be solved?

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 1, 2014 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2016 10:22 AM

TThe network setting you're seeing applies to cellular network onlyUser uploaded file

4 replies

Jan 14, 2016 10:45 AM in response to TimeWoundsAllHeels

Thank you, SD Dandashi! I feel even more ignorant now than I thought I was 😁

Yet, I'm still puzzled as to why most of the time, I get message saying that iPad is not connected (to iMac) despite clearly connected via USB cable (cable works fine for charging iPad).

In addition, when once in a bluemoon the connection works, I cannot browse the iPad on my iMac. It says that service not available on this device. Does this refer to iPad(2) or iMac or both? Can this be fixed?

Jan 14, 2016 12:40 PM in response to TimeWoundsAllHeels

Hi.. Glas to help.. I believe the message "...service not available on this device"applies to the iPad. you cannot browse iPad files using native mac os x except for iTunes where you can browse, media files and sync your iTunes library etc... to move files between mac and iPad and/or iPhone you can use air drop, hands off ..etc... there are third party apps that allow browsing of files on iPad.. i also think the reason you don't see the connections on other times is maybe because the bluetooth on either the mac or the iPad might be off..

What does "network not available" on ipad settings mean when it is possible to connect to WiFi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.