6 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2014 6:20 AM by a brody
Gothboy Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I've been on Snow Leopard for quite a while now and it's been the most stable OS I think I've ever used.  Now a few of my music production applications are forcing me to upgrade to OX 7. I wanted to go with Mountain Lion 10.8 but I learned that my Mac Pro 1,1 is not compatible due to reasons related to my video card and other things so I thought I'd ask what the community thinks.  I think Lion is my only way to go but have no idea it's history. If I install this are the provided updates providing support for my Mac? I do know there's a way around the ML video card issue but I'd rather not have to get another video card.

Here's my specs:

Model Name:          Mac Pro

Model Identifier:          MacPro1,1

Processor Name:          Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed:          2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors:          2

Total Number Of Cores:          4

L2 Cache (per processor):          4 MB

Memory:          5 GB

Bus Speed:          1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version:          MP11.005C.B08

SMC Version (system):          1.7f10

Chipset Model:          NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

Type:          GPU

Bus:          PCIe

Slot:          Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width:          x16

VRAM (Total):          256 MB

Vendor:          NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID:          0x0393

Revision ID:          0x00a1

ROM Revision:          3008

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution:          1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth:          32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number:          H9LS315328 

Mirror:          Off

Online:          Yes

Rotation:          Supported

SyncMaster:

Resolution:          1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth:          32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number:          H9NZ401662 

Main Display:          Yes

Mirror:          Off

Online:          Yes

Rotation:          Supported

Television:          Yes

Mac Pro Dual Core 2.66 Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 9GB RAM with dual monitors, Digi 002R/Pro Tools 8
  • dianeoforegon Level 5 Level 5 (4,235 points)

Lion will not be updated other than security updates. Same for Mountain Lion. Rather than putting money into a new video card, check out the new Airs.

Apple dropped pricing on MacBook Air's yesterday by $100. Includes the Intel's latest Haswell processors. The base 11-inch model now starts at $899 as a result, with the 13-inch starting at $999.

• Bootup Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I think it depends where you want to go with your computer and what applications you need to run. Most applications can be run on the air or a mbpro. If you need more power you can look at the iMac and beyond.

I you agree SL is very stable and reliable. In my opinion Mavericks is the cloesest yet to being as stable at SL. I would skip over MLion. Older applications many not work in the newer OS but that started in lion. Where their additional reasons besides the video care you couldn't move to the newest OS?

• Gothboy Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I want to keep my fully loaded MacPro going for as long as it does the job.  I don't have money now to replace it. Nor do I want a laptop for my studio. Why would I want to spend money on a Macbook Air when I have a MacPro equipped with 5 HDs?

It's a 1,1 Mac from 2006 and not supported by Mavericks.

• dianeoforegon Level 5 Level 5 (4,235 points)

You mentioned putting money to upgrade your video card. I simply mentioned that your money might be better invested on a new computer.

You asked about Lion's history. Like Snow Leopard is a very stable system compared to Tiger. You can take this analogy to say Lion is to Mavericks as Tiger is to Snow Leopard.

• MlchaelLAX Level 4 Level 4 (1,965 points)

Gothboy wrote:

Now a few of my music production applications are forcing me to upgrade to OX 7...

The flip side of this issue is that once you upgrade to OS X 10.7 Lion, some of your existing software may no longer function!

The primary cause of this problem is that many Snow Leopard users are unaware that they are using PowerPC applications written for the older PowerPC CPU that were contained in Mac from the mid-90's until 2006, when all Macs migrated the the Intel CPU.

To avoid the problem of rendering most user's applications useless, Apple licensed some technology from a third party that they implemented in OS X Tiger 10.4, called Rosetta.  This addition seemlessly allows most PowerPC apps to function on an Intel Mac, with many users continuing to be unaware of the addition.

Rosetta was included with Leopard and then an optional install in Snow Leopard and finally eliminated with the release of Lion and thereafter, due to the expiration of Apple's license to the underlying technology.

SO: what does this mean for you?  My best recommendations are:

1)  Partition your hard drive or use one of your additional drives for the upgrade to Lion.  DO NOT install Lion over your Snow Leopard environment as it will destroy it!  BACKUP or CLONE your Snow Leopard environment for protection BEFORE you install Lion.

2)  Dual-boot (System Preferences:Startup Disk) to determine which version of OS X is to be running: Snow Leopard or Lion.

3)  Experiment with Lion and see which of your current apps do not function well or at all in Lion. Check with their software publishers, if there are updates available for use in Lion.

4)  Keep your Snow Leopard partition for as long as you own this Mac Pro; as having a way to run Snow Leopard natively can be important in the future, as well.

Good luck!

• a brody Level 9 Level 9 (64,425 points)

Upgrading to Lion is only recommended if your software is compatible with it entirely:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6271

Also your Mac is not compatible with Mountain Lion or later without some tough hacks to perform, as described here:

http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47

Agreed with Michael, you should slowly migrate to Lion, unless you know you are ready.