Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService.xpc (Crashes!!!)

Hi

I don't know what is com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService.xpc, I've formated my MAC and I have reinstaled the OS X coz it was in troubles, I mean: anytime at work my mac got frozen while it is save file in PDF from finder or preview.app

Right now, after a new OS X was installed, my system is freak out, but every time it crash I go to Activity Monitor and I can see the com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService.xpc in red, so I force to quit it and system come back to normal imediatelly.

What is com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService.xpc? How could I solve this problem?

Could someone help me?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on May 2, 2014 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2017 11:59 AM

Thanks HaloJax, I had the issue of

com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService.xpc taking up 70% of my CPU and, weirdly something else at 45% - (clearly more than 100%) anyway, concerned, I looked and found your reply. I quit a few applications and it cleared. Will now restart too as it's been a week - thanks for the reminder.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2017 11:59 AM in response to HaloJax

Thanks HaloJax, I had the issue of

com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService.xpc taking up 70% of my CPU and, weirdly something else at 45% - (clearly more than 100%) anyway, concerned, I looked and found your reply. I quit a few applications and it cleared. Will now restart too as it's been a week - thanks for the reminder.

Jul 12, 2014 4:58 AM in response to Snascimento

For some reason I experienced the same issue today with Preview.

Activity Monitor shows com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService.xpc becoming non-responsive.

I looked at Console.app (/var/log/system.log), and this keep crashing

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/CVMCompiler

I switched from Nvidia Web drivers to OS X Default and the issue is now gone.

User uploaded file

I do not know if in your case this is related to the same root cause but either way you should have a look at the logs, or Console.app to see what happens there.

Sep 27, 2014 5:21 AM in response to Enelass

I'm just going to let the Norton File Guard log speak for itself, this is last weeks history of blocked events (at least those of which when I had Norton File Guard enabled):

User uploaded file

These came in at times when I WAS NOT accessing these files,

Am I paranoid or being personally targeted (vs. the run of the mill virus mahhem)?

Path location:

/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/XPCServices/

Jun 24, 2016 5:48 PM in response to Snascimento

I think I found the answer. I had two instances of the process com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService running both using between 70-99% of the CPU. I starting quitting apps one at a time to see if the process would quit with one of them. Sure enough quitting Numbers cancelled one and quitting Pages cancelled the other. Launching both pages and Numbers started the processes again. But now at 2-4% of the CPU. I did have about 10 spreadsheets open for a few days without restarting. Maybe a simple restart now and then would be a good idea.

com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService.xpc (Crashes!!!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.