Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't read iBook from iBooks Store on Mac

I downloaded a free book from the ibooks store. It appears in iBooks for Mac but when I try to open it it asks me to enter an Apple ID and password, obviously to "authorize" the computer. If I enter them, I am told that the computer is already authorised... And then I get a message saying "This book can't be opened with the current Apple ID. The Apple ID you're currently using doesn't match the one that was used to purchase this book."

I tried to delete the book and download it again but nothing changed. On my iPad, I don't have any problem and can read the book. I have always used the same Apple ID for books on iTunes and this is the first purchase with the new iBooks for Mac.

Any idea?

Ellen

iBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 3, 2014 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 12:15 AM

Here is what I did and it worked faster than any of these other solutions (although I did not try them, the solution I did was super fast).

Erase any book from your iBooks library downloaded on your computer. Go to the iBooks store, under purchased, and download the book you just erased. Not only did these allow me to open the erased/redownloaded book, it let me open every thing.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2017 12:15 AM in response to Ellen H

Here is what I did and it worked faster than any of these other solutions (although I did not try them, the solution I did was super fast).

Erase any book from your iBooks library downloaded on your computer. Go to the iBooks store, under purchased, and download the book you just erased. Not only did these allow me to open the erased/redownloaded book, it let me open every thing.

May 4, 2014 1:04 AM in response to picas

Yes, I have tried with my other ID but nothing changed. Anyway I'm sure of the ID I use to purchase books. Always the same one. I've been doing this for years.

Also, if the book was linked to my other ID, I wouldn't be able to read the book on my iPad that is logged in using the Apple ID that doesn't give me access on the Mac. And all my books (purchased previously to the recent changes in iTunes/iBooks) work fine, can be deleted and redownloaded and read. If I switch to the other ID, all my books disappear from iBooks. The readable ones and the unreadable one. I also checked the presence of the troublesome book in the Finder where it can be found deeply nested in the Library folder. It's there, disappears when deleted and reappears when downloaded again.

I also contacted Apple support (by chat). The support person suggested I repair permissions with Disk Utility and delete the preference plist. I did all this and nothing changed. The problem was escalated to another support person and later I was called by phone by yet another (senior) tech who got remote access to my machine (interesting experience). All to no avail. I deleted the book, redownloaded it many times. It's just round and round: enter your password, this computer is already authorised, the Apple ID you're using doesn't match the one that was used to purchase this book.

The tech support person who tried to help using remote access said he'll get back to me next Tuesday. If he finds a solution before anybody here does, I'll update this thread.

I must say I'm impressed by Apple's support. I didn't wait more than a minute or two for each session with a support person. They were all very patient and helpful and didn't act as if I didn't understand what I was doing, something I often notice with other vendors. The fact that the problem was not fixed immediately doesn't surprise me. I usually fix most problems myself, with or without help from the internet community, including this one. When I find nothing, as is the case here, it's usually something really weird, some obscure bug or some rare incompatibility. Over 30 years of using a Mac, this has happened a number of times.

Ellen

Jun 26, 2014 3:10 PM in response to Sebastien BARRE

My problem was solved by Apple Support today.

What we did is restart the computer in Safe mode (power it down, turn it on and hold the Shift key right away, until it boots; you should see a big, red: "safe mode" text in the top right corner, and your computer will likely be slower). In Safe Mode, I was able to download the book. We then shut the computer down, restarted the normal way, and boom, everything in iBooks was working as it should.

Jun 27, 2014 12:46 AM in response to Sebastien BARRE

After a number of remote sessions with a support person this fixed it:

In /Users/<username>/Library/Containers/ remove the following files or folders

com.apple.iBooksX

com.apple.bookstoreagent.plist

com.apple.ibooks.cookies

The first one was recreated after opening iBooks.

The plist wasn’t recreated where it was and the simlink in the com.apple.iBooksX folder is not valid. There is a file with the same name in /System/Library/LaunchAgents/

The cookies are now in /Users/ellen/Library/Cookies/com.apple.ibooks.cookies.

I didn't explore any further having spent enough time on this as it is.

Ellen

Can't read iBook from iBooks Store on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.