Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use wireless keyboard to search instead of Apple remote?

How can I use a wireless keyboard to search for programs? I'd sure appreciate help

as it's a bother to use the Apple remote to search.

Apple TV, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 3, 2014 9:28 AM

6 replies

May 3, 2014 6:24 PM in response to vazandrew

I was able to download an App on my IMac at Itunes, but I don't know how to use it for the IPad??? I tried to download an App on the IPad, but I'm having login issues and will have to call an IPad tech. I spent over two hours working with a supervisor to change the IPad email address and password, and I removed ICloud, but now I went to download an App on the IPad, and couldn't get on with the new email address and password. When I have more time, I'll call a tech and hopefully fix the problem.

Thanks for you helpI I really appreciate it. I may write to you again once I'm able to get the remote on my IPad.

May 3, 2014 7:05 PM in response to diamond2277

What app did you download? You can download it via iTunes on your Mac, but then you would have to sync it to the iPad.

This is the one you're looking for

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8

Was there a specific reason you were you trying to change your email address/password?

Hope you are able to sort things out, please do post if you need anything else.

May 3, 2014 10:08 PM in response to vazandrew

I have the app in ITunes, and I see at the top there's a place to drag it to IPad, and when I do, I see a red circle with the number 1, but I can't drop it into the IPad. I started reading insturctions in Home Sharing and now I'm more confused then ever. I hooked up USB port to my computer and it's connected to my IPad, but nothing is happening. Home Sharing is on.

I got directions to sync, but haven't tried it yet. Here's what is says. I have 3rd generation apple TV and also IPad.

Set up Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation)

1. On Apple TV, select Settings from the main menu.
  2. Select General > Remotes > Remote App. If Home Sharing isn't set up on your Apple TV, you should turn it on.

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) uses Home Sharing to stream content from your iTunes library on your computer to your HDTV. If you connect your Apple TV to your iTunes library using Home Sharing, you can use Remote to browse and play content from any iTunes library in the Computers section of your Apple TV. You can also use Remote to select between available speakers to enhance your audio and video experience.

My purpose of doing the remote connection is I want to use the IPad keyboard to "search" on Apple TV. I have a Zagg keyboard that I use with my IPad, and I'm hoping I can sync "Remote" to my IPad and use the Zagg keyboard which is paired with the IPad. But, if not, the keyboard with the IPad is better than the Search on Apple TV.

The reason I wanted to change my email address/password on the IPad is because I used my cable company's email and it's "Charter" and they're horrible. I switched to another email service on my IMac and the Ipad. It's fine on my IMac, but when I go to get something on the IPadwhere it asks my password, it puts the "old" email address there. And every password I put in doesn't work. Everything is correct in "Settings" and the old email address isn't there, but it always shows up when I need to put in a password.

I may be becomming more demanding of your time, and if so just let me know. Any help you can offer is very much appreciated.

How to use wireless keyboard to search instead of Apple remote?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.