Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Distorted audio via headphones iPad 4th Gen

I'm getting very distorted audio via headphones on my 4th gen ipad. I've tried different headphones and tried resetting settings yet the problem persists. I'm think the cause of the problem was when I tried using the iRig with a synth plugged into it. I'm guessing the voltage has exceeded the input voltage threshold and fried something. That said, I didn't discover the problem until a while after this session, it may have occurred before this.

I'd assumed it was a hardware issue so I replaced the headphone jack flex cable but it was still there. The iPad is well out of warranty otherwise of have taken it to the local Genius Bar. I'm an electronics technician and was happy enough to work on it myself.

I can't record the audio at the minute to upload an example so I'll try to explain the problem.

When the earphones are in and music is playing, it sounds very distorted/overdriven. Even with the volume turned right down. As the volume is increased it gets louder and stays distorted until around 50% where the right ear cuts out and goes silent. The left stays as is until around 75/80% volume where it suddenly becomes clear and sounds as it should. As it's increased further, the left comes back loud and distorted and the right goes back to distorted sound again right up to 100% volume.

Could it be something on the logic board? Or could it even be a software issue? I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me with this. Need to get proper sound out of my iPad again or I can no longer use any of the audio apps I bought it for.

Cheers!

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 3, 2014 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 8:09 AM

It’s a headphone issue.

I had the same thing.

Speaker works fine but headphones don’t.

Music and videos sound like they’re underwater and garbled.

Amazingly some Ads we’re fine though.

I tried every setting, cleaned headphone jack etc.

I tried a pair of headphones that belonged to a Galaxy Note and they work perfectly.

Try a couple out in a store and buy the ones that work.

Good luck mate.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 8:09 AM in response to jvrock84

It’s a headphone issue.

I had the same thing.

Speaker works fine but headphones don’t.

Music and videos sound like they’re underwater and garbled.

Amazingly some Ads we’re fine though.

I tried every setting, cleaned headphone jack etc.

I tried a pair of headphones that belonged to a Galaxy Note and they work perfectly.

Try a couple out in a store and buy the ones that work.

Good luck mate.

May 19, 2014 2:55 PM in response to CrickyLyttle

Try this - Reset the iPad by holding down on the Sleep and Home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons. (This is equivalent to rebooting your computer.) http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

iPhone: No sound or distorted sound from speaker

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5180

http://www.atreks.com/app-no-sound-on-ipad-4-%E2%80%93-what-to-do/

To solve some sound problems, just follow these simple steps

1. Go to Settings

2. Tap on General

3. Tap on Reset

4. Tap on Reset All Settings

What this effectively does is to reset some of your Settings to factory default. It’s not a complete removal of settings. It removes all of your preferences for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Do No Disturb, Notifications, General, Sounds, Brightness & Wallpaper and Privacy. It doesn’t affect your data. All of your email accounts will remain intact, as well as any SMS text or iMessages.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

May 19, 2014 3:11 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. I've already tried a hard reset though along with restoring factory settings and a full system restore via iTunes. I've also replaced the headphone jack flex cable and looked up a few other theories on what this could be. Some of the other things I've forgotten but one that I tried (that seemed to work for a lot of people) was in accessibility settings: turning mono sound on and off again (as well as every combination of turning it off/on restarting the ipad in between etc). That didn't work for me though.

It's a complete nightmare! :( cheers anyway though!

Distorted audio via headphones iPad 4th Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.