Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 charger blowing up

I have just viewed a few discussions on here and ask for support to offer awareness to people as Apple are proving to be ignorant. In April 2013 I purchased an IPhone 5 from a very reputable main high street O2 provider in Chester. Last week while charging my iPhone the charger chose to blow up and virtually melted in some areas disintegrating the small mother board inside the plug. I sent an email to the Director of Apple UK who passed my concerns onto an executive of Apple. I sent photos of the burnt out charger to receive notification that the Apple Technicians reported its a fake.

It's not a fake nor do I have any reason to lie. This iPhone 5 was purchased in an O2 Store in am Apple box in cellphone with it's original security tag attached and was only opened in my presence. O2 have stated Apple do not want to accept responsibility hence they having no complaints department as they assume their products are over and above any other and have no reason to offer a complaints department.

I have even offered Apple a list of serial numbers and layout from the mother board but the technicians are still reporting its a fake. Apple have now said that in the charger in the grooves to either side of the USB port is a serial number. However I tried to book in with an Apple genius in Liverpool 1 but there are no dates available until 29th May to which I am away.

As a result i vigorously cleaned the charger and I took it to two jewellers who have inspected the charger and report there is no serial number anyway on the charger and again they are stating they feel Apple is pulling a fast one.

I'm asking anyone who had has or is having any issues of similar to let me know. I want to know if anyone has found a serial number inside the brung out charger?

Apple is stating on the charger inside is a serial number barely noticeable to the naked eye! Please help losing my patience to something Apple as multi national company just fob off as a fake assuming little fish will not take on the big fish. However it's the principle that such a major company can prey on the innocent thinking they will never be challenged. thanks

Carolyn (caryan)

<Edited By Host>

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Charger blowing up on iPhone 5

Posted on May 3, 2014 1:31 PM

1 reply

Aug 17, 2014 1:04 PM in response to Caryan1967

The same thing happened to me about an hour ago. Today, as every other day, I plugged the charger into the electrical outlet; however, after ~3 seconds the charger literally blew up. There was a loud bang and then an explosion forced the USB cable out of the power adapter. All of this was accompanied by flames and smell. Fortunately, my phone is still working, though I wouldn't envy anyone holding the power adapter as it blows up.

I'm wondering if there's any chance to get a new charger for free even though this one isn't under warranty anymore...

Note: the charger was original (not a cheap Chinese copycat) because it came with my iPhone 4, which I bought from an official T-mobile store.

User uploaded file

iPhone 5 charger blowing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.