Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error importing project XML

I keep receiving the following error message when importing project XML on FCP X 10.1:

The object is not on an edit frame boundary

(duration="6286/600s" /fcpxml[1[/project[1]/sequence[1]/spine[1]clip(17)/video[1]/@duration)

this then repeats multiple times, exactly as above, except "clip(17)" is replaced with "clip(18)", "clip(19)", "clip(20)", etc. to "clip(43)"

Does anyone have an idea what this is about? My project is not particularly complicated.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Marc

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 3, 2014 9:55 PM

6 replies

May 9, 2014 9:30 AM in response to Rick Llewellyn

I spoke to Apple FCP support a few days ago about this. They reproduced the error on their system after I sent them my XML file but they couldn't explain it. Only hypothesis he had was that there was a compatibility between the much higher hardware specs on the Mac Pro and the MacBook Pro I am using. That doesn't make sense to me, or maybe I just didn't understand what he was talking about. In any case, he was going to look into it further and get back to me but I haven't heard from him yet. If I get a response I will post it here.

The project I'm editing containts video in .mov format and several tiff images.

Nov 25, 2014 10:39 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I may have an idea where this is coming from but it's just a hunch so far. I imported an XML that did this.

It seems that FCP X has two different ways of approaching time. A project has an input rate (in this case 25p) but also an output rate (in this case 60p). The timeline assumes the output rate. FCP X seemed to have defaulted the output to 60p without the editor choosing it or even realising it. They were surprised.

Those are not easily divisible so I think some internal conflict can occur. Here are some screenshots. Note the different rates. Not the timeline became 60p (assumed output rate) as I could reach frame :59 even though all the footage was 25p and the project created with 25p in mind.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 2, 2015 3:38 PM in response to monkeybrainsmedia

Hello, have you managed to find out why this happens? I've read it's a problem with having clips with different frame rates than the project. But I thought FCPX managed this seamlessly. I'm afraid every time I import an XML and get this error that things could've moved around and messed up the edit. There is surprisingly little information on this error on the internet. If anyone can help, please do! 🙂

Error importing project XML

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.