Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S and iOS 7.1.1 Storage Bug?

Since taking the 7.1.1 update on my 32 gig iPhone 4S I have been getting out of storage warnings on a daily basis. If I go to Settings > General > Usage and check my storage space when this happens it will say 0 gigs available. If I then power cycle the iPhone it will then say 20 gigs available (I backed it up and deleted a bunch of stuff when it first started happening), but then through the course of the day without downloading anything the space will slowly decrease back down to 0 until I power cycle it once again. Anyone else seeing behaivor like this or know how to fix it?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.1, 32gig, AT&T

Posted on May 3, 2014 11:31 PM

4 replies

May 25, 2014 12:56 AM in response to echo-101

Yes, echo-101, I'm experiencing the very same issue, albeit on two iPads. This issue appears to be under substantive discussion at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6157715?start=30&tstart=0

I've updated to 7.1.1 on iPhone and on the two iPads. All working perfectly fine unti then, although it may well be a coincidence. The iPhone is working normally with none of these symptoms, but both iPads (iPad mini and iPad 2) are affected in the same way.

I have experienced the same symptoms as you, namely the available storage will gradually diminish over an approximate 72 hour period to zero KBs available. I have verified that this is not an erroneous warning or reading, in that trying to download an app will fail, as there is not sufficient storage.

That is not to say, of course, that the device should be stating that there is no, or limited, storage available. I am using the devices normally and the total storage used is never more than 5 or 6 GBs. It is totally wrong for it to record that more storage has been used.

I too have found that switching the device on and off again resets the storage reafings, but as you too have experienced the problem then swiftly returns. I have tried restoring the device, both from my iTunes and iCloud backups, and as a new iPad for the reason that the problem could have been with corrupted data in my backup, but the problem swiftly returns.

I took the iPad mini to my local Genius Bar and they were not able to resolve it. They put me on to Apple Support who have been helpful but have not been able to identify the problem. Having spent an inordinate amount of time on it - quite beyond what a consumer should have to do, frankly - I returned the iPad mini to the retailer under extended warranty. I am however very sceptical of this being a hardware failure, for instance some issue with the local flash storage, because of the unlikeliness of that, the fact that others including you are sadly experiencing the same issue, and also because there is a similar problem with my iPad 2.

It would be great if we could all identify this as a flaw or bug in 7.1.1. I can make do with power cycling my devices until it is fixed, but I think we all need Apple to acknowledge and then deal with this as appropriate. If it is not an issue with 7.1.1, then I am running out of ideas.

Best of luck with your issue; if I hear more, and when I get my device replaced or returned, I will post.

May 25, 2014 4:01 AM in response to Gareth Llewellyn

Thank you Gareth for the comprehensive summary as well as providing for the link to the other thread which is most useful. At this stage I am convinced there is a bug in iOS 7.1.1 however this only seems to affect the older iPad and iPhone models, are you using an iPhone 5 or 5s? This would explain why you only experience the issue with the iPads.

May 25, 2014 4:42 AM in response to MC Turbo

MC Turbo, sorry, completely forgot to state my specs. I'm using an iPhone 5, and that appears to be entirely unaffected. I use iTunes Match on all my devices. The two iPads which are experiencing the issue are, respectively, an iPad 2 and an iPad mini (first gen). In addition, the iPad mini that I have been loaned by the retailer whilst mine is away for review, repair and/or replacement is also experiencing the same issue.

I agree with your view about the issue affecting the older iPads and iPhones only; my Dad uses a newer iPad mini with Retina display and doesn't have the same issue. However, it is worth noting that he doesn't use iTunes Match. Perhaps those of us with iTunes Match are a bit more techy and would be more inclined to report these things, anyway!

Best of luck to you and to everyone else with this issue; I'll let you know if Apple or my retailer come back to me with anything...

May 25, 2014 5:01 AM in response to Gareth Llewellyn

Gareth, thanks and no worries. Just wanted to make sure the issue is indeed affecting older models of iPhone and iPad (nice move by Apple to upsell us to the latest models). And further in relation to iTunes Match, I agree with you here, probably not eveybody is techy enough to make the analysis and report the issue which would be needed to wake Apple finally up and do something about it. We should go viral ;-)

I am still trying to get traction with Apple support, they seem like teflon when it comes to acknowledging and officially logging a report when it comes down to issues like that.

Thanks again and likewise best of luck, will revert back once I have made progress on my end.

iPhone 4S and iOS 7.1.1 Storage Bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.