6 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2014 5:16 PM by PeterBreis0807
MrBBQ Level 1 Level 1

Just started using Pages in the last several months. The version of pages I had/have is 2.02. I created several documents and saved them with this version. Yesterday I down loaded Pages 5.2. This version indicates that the files I just created last week are too old. From the support community I see that this is an issue between the Pages versions. Is there a workaround? I tried saving the 2.02 file in Word 05 (that was the default offered) onto the desktop and tried to open it with Pages 5.2 but that did not work. Any other thoughts? Also the older programs were in a folder called iWork. Any benifit to moving the new Pages and sister programs into this same folder?

Thanks

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)
Solved by PeterBreis0807 on May 4, 2014 4:39 PM Solved
If the file extension is .pages you obviously did not Export it or Save it as a Word .doc/x file. Pages does not open .pdf files. Preview can. Peter
  • fruhulda Level 6 Level 6

You will be happier if you buy iWork'09 instead. It will open Pages 2 files. It also has about 100 more features than Pages 5 and is working well. You can get the DVD from Amazon for $ 27. You need to update iWork 09 after installation. Latest update is iWork 9.3

• PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.iwork
    iWork

Do not move Pages 5 et al into the same folder as Pages '06.

Can TextEdit open your exported Word 2005 document?

Pages 5 will not open .rtf files if that is what you've done.

Peter

• MrBBQ Level 1 Level 1

Thanks. I will not move the new pages into the iWork Folder.

TextEdit does not open the file on the desktop. The extension on the saved file on the desktop is "pages" The file is not an rtf.

Also opened the file in pages 2.02 and save it as a pdf to the desktop and tried to open w/ pages 5.0 to no avail.

expertise.iwork
    iWork

If the file extension is .pages you obviously did not Export it or Save it as a Word .doc/x file.

Pages does not open .pdf files. Preview can.

Peter

• MrBBQ Level 1 Level 1

Sorry. I went back to the box it said iWork 05 format. I just thought I saw Windows. I tried saving the file by changing the extension to .doc but all that gave me was a filename.doc.pages saved file.

Thanks for helping.

Dave

expertise.iwork
    iWork

You can't just change the file extension.

You have to Export the file to Word .doc.

It has been a long time since iWork '05 so I can't remember exactly where the Export option is in Pages '05, probably under the Window or File menus. Maybe even in Save As… down the bottom.

Peter