Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

numbers frozen up, won't open

Something seems to be corrupting my Numbers. It won't respond when I try to open a document, the wheel just spins and when I force quit it says Numbers Not Responding. Then I just tried and I got a message outright telling me that Numbers can not be openned. What do I do to correct this?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on May 4, 2014 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2014 8:45 AM

One thing you can try is force quit and then hold down the shift key and launch Numbers. Holding down the shift key tells Numbers not to try to open the last opened document, which may be corrupted.

SG

6 replies

May 4, 2014 6:06 PM in response to SGIII

Thanks. That may help. I've been having problems with opening numbers for a week or two, intermitantly. I think you may be right about a document being corrupted. But at this point I was able to get it open and I'm leaving it open long term right now because I use it the document and update it frequently (so I also printed it out on hard copy). My iMac is 7 years old and is starting to having issues with speed on many operations. It's scaring me and I may be looking at a new computer soon. What do you think: Is there anything wrong with leaving the computer on 24/7, just because I feel safer that it's on and functioning. I am backed up. (Well, actually my external drive is full and also corrupted and in the process right now of being thrice wiped over with permanant delete...and then my Time Machine will back it all up...). Is there any thing wrong with leaving a computer on 24/7?

May 4, 2014 7:51 PM in response to James Thomson

Is there any thing wrong with leaving a computer on 24/7?

I guess that depends on the computer and the settings in your System Preferences. I generally use a MacBook Air and usually just put it to "sleep." I rarely shut it down or quit Numbers. That may not work as well with older computers.

If you do leave yours "on" you might want to have a look at System Preferences > Energy Saver.

SG

May 4, 2014 8:47 PM in response to SGIII

I'm not a spring chicken so I think back to the idea that you are supposed to turn things off.....So I'm glad to hear that you leave your computer on most of the time and don't quit number either much and that this I assume is common practice.

What were you suggesting though about energy saver settings? I have my iMac set so that it never goes to sleep and only the display sleeps after the set time. Is my computer "sleep deprived" to its detriment, or is this just a matter of saving energy?

May 4, 2014 9:10 PM in response to James Thomson

I have my iMac set so that it never goes to sleep and only the display sleeps after the set time. Is my computer "sleep deprived" to its detriment, or is this just a matter of saving energy?

That probably depends on your particular setup and the programs you have running. I generally have mine set so the computer sleeps after a certain period of time. If you leave it on, and not sleeping, you may want to make sure an app is not causing the fans to run constantly. If the fans are not running constantly you should be ok.

SG

numbers frozen up, won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.