Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset Time Machine Password to Backup Using External Drive

I have been using Time Machine to backup my files regularly on an External drive. I usually backup my files (using Backup Now option) and then turn off Time Machine. I have been doing this successfully for a month on my new MacBookPro (late 2013 version, purchased 5 March 2014). I used this same procedure successfully since 2010 on a previous Macbook Pro I owned.

I just tried to backup my files, all of a sudden Time Machine now asks me for a password which I don't remember setting. Time Machine Preferences looks like this. User uploaded file

When I try to set Time Machine On I cannot do it (I used to be able to do it). When I click unlock and try to input my MacbookPro login username and password, but this login/password is not accepted.

Frankly, I have no idea what happened. I must have pushed the wrong button at some point. I don't mind losing my old backus and resetting the password on Time Machine software, provided I can and backup my files right away.

How can I reset the Time Machine password? Any help will be much appreciated.

Francisco

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.5), WD My Passport Ultra 2 TB external

Posted on May 4, 2014 7:50 AM

14 replies

May 4, 2014 10:08 AM in response to FProenza

Can you try unlocking other panels in System Preferences? For example, go to the Security & Privacy pane and try clicking on the lock there. Does it accept your user login/password?

Is your caps lock key on?

Unless you encrypted the Time Machine backup drive, Time Machine shouldn't be asking you for a password. So I believe this is connected to the fact that you can't unlock the Time Machine pane in System Prefs.

May 4, 2014 12:18 PM in response to FProenza

Hi Francisco,

Did you use any Western Digital utility to encrypt or otherwise lock that hard disk with a password?

If you did, the password may be stored in your Mac's Keychain as Eric Root wrote. Don't delete any Keychains, since that may result in the backup becoming permanently inaccessible, making it necessary to erase the backup volume before it can be used again.

May 4, 2014 2:23 PM in response to DonnaR

Dear John,

I did not use any WD utility and I did not encrypt the hard disk or otherwise lock it with a password. In fact, I already used Time Machine as it is and backed up the files in that drive.

What I cannot do is unlock the Time Machine software, which means I cannot set time machine to backup automatically. This is not a big deal, but I just realized that I am having the same problem with the Security preferences. I also cannot unlock those.

many thanks,

Francisco

May 4, 2014 2:27 PM in response to DonnaR

Dear DonnaR,

I did as suggested and found out that I also cannot unlock the Security and Privacy preferences. My caps lock key is off.

You say "unless you encrypted the Time Machine backup drive, Time Machine shouldn't be asking you for a password." Up until today this was my experience. I simply do not know how my Time Machine and my Security and Privacy preferences got set up with a user/password different than before.

Now that I think about it, I did have some apple service unit have a look at the machine. Perhaps they are the ones who introduced the password. I will check with them.

Many thanks,

Francisco

May 4, 2014 2:37 PM in response to FProenza

If you can't unlock other System Preferences panels, I think your user password has been changed. You could check this by logging out and logging in again, but then you might not be able to get back into your account! Basically, you need to know your user password.

Is your user account an administrator or standard user account? That will help determine how to reset your password.

May 4, 2014 2:43 PM in response to Eric Root

Dear Eric,

I am using a Western Digital Ultra external drive that I myself formatted Journaled. It is not encrypted.

I went to the keychain and I could not find the password for Time Machine. (Frankly, I am not sure where to look).

User uploaded file

I also ran Keychain first aid and no problem was found. I also ran Keychain first aid repair and everything seems fine.

User uploaded file

Tomorrow Monday I will call the repair shop, as I suspect they introduced a different password.

Many thanks for now. I will keep you posted.

Francisco

May 5, 2014 3:43 AM in response to FProenza

Only an Admin user can unlock those preferences. You can either go back to Apple, or quite easily reset the Admin user password yourself.

To do that, start in Recovery by holding Command & R keys after you hear the startup chime.

Once in Recovery, choose Terminal from the Utilities menu at the top of the screen.

In Terminal, type resetpassword followed by the enter key.

An application will open : choose the user that Apple created & follow the prompts to set the password to one of your choice. Restart normally afterwards.

You can then either use that name/password when required; or if you prefer... login to the Admin user & make yourself an Admin too.

Reset Time Machine Password to Backup Using External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.