Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring some things to another ipad

I have been sharing my ipad with my son and am now going to purchase one for him. I have some songs of his, movies and apps too on my ipad. Am I able to just transfer his stuff to the new one with out transferring my stuff or am I going to have to just sync all my stuff to his and then delete my stuff from his. Or am I able to treat the new ipad as a new device and not repurchase his stuff and just sync it.

iPad

Posted on May 4, 2014 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2014 11:10 AM

Hi Catnja,

Welcome to the Support Communities!

The first thing I would suggest is that you create a unique Apple ID for your son for his new iPad. This will keep his iCloud contacts, calendars, Game Center, Photo Stream, backups, etc. separate from yours. I would also suggest he create a new user account on your computer for the same reason. If you have made several iTunes Store purchases for your son, he can still sign in with your current Apple ID to access those purchases. The article below explains this in more detail. Be sure to read the Frequently Asked Questions section.

I would suggest you setup your son's iPad as New using the new Apple ID you create. Once it is all set up, then he can sign in to the iTunes Store with your current Apple ID and redownload past purchases to it.

If you don't have an Apple ID, you can create one at My Apple ID.

You should use (your son's) primary email address as his Apple ID.

Using your Apple ID for Apple services

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895

Using one Apple ID for iCloud and a different Apple ID for Store Purchases

You can use different Apple IDs for iCloud and Store purchases and still get all of the benefits of iCloud. Just follow these steps:

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

1. When you first set up your device with iOS 5 or later, enter the Apple ID you want to use with iCloud. If you skipped the setup assistant, sign in to Settings > iCloud and enter the Apple ID you’d like to use with iCloud.
  2. In Settings > iTunes and App Stores, sign in with the Apple ID you want to use for Store purchases. You may need to sign out first to change the Apple ID.

I have purchased music, apps, or books with multiple Apple IDs. How can I get all of this content onto my iOS device?

First, you need to copy all of your purchased content so it is on the same Mac or PC with iTunes. This computer should be the one you sync your device with. For more information on how to move your content, see these articles:

Next, authorize your computer to play content with each Apple ID in iTunes. Once your computer is authorized for all your content, it can be synced to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Downloading past purchases from the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Cheers,

- Judy

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2014 11:10 AM in response to Catnja

Hi Catnja,

Welcome to the Support Communities!

The first thing I would suggest is that you create a unique Apple ID for your son for his new iPad. This will keep his iCloud contacts, calendars, Game Center, Photo Stream, backups, etc. separate from yours. I would also suggest he create a new user account on your computer for the same reason. If you have made several iTunes Store purchases for your son, he can still sign in with your current Apple ID to access those purchases. The article below explains this in more detail. Be sure to read the Frequently Asked Questions section.

I would suggest you setup your son's iPad as New using the new Apple ID you create. Once it is all set up, then he can sign in to the iTunes Store with your current Apple ID and redownload past purchases to it.

If you don't have an Apple ID, you can create one at My Apple ID.

You should use (your son's) primary email address as his Apple ID.

Using your Apple ID for Apple services

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895

Using one Apple ID for iCloud and a different Apple ID for Store Purchases

You can use different Apple IDs for iCloud and Store purchases and still get all of the benefits of iCloud. Just follow these steps:

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

1. When you first set up your device with iOS 5 or later, enter the Apple ID you want to use with iCloud. If you skipped the setup assistant, sign in to Settings > iCloud and enter the Apple ID you’d like to use with iCloud.
  2. In Settings > iTunes and App Stores, sign in with the Apple ID you want to use for Store purchases. You may need to sign out first to change the Apple ID.

I have purchased music, apps, or books with multiple Apple IDs. How can I get all of this content onto my iOS device?

First, you need to copy all of your purchased content so it is on the same Mac or PC with iTunes. This computer should be the one you sync your device with. For more information on how to move your content, see these articles:

Next, authorize your computer to play content with each Apple ID in iTunes. Once your computer is authorized for all your content, it can be synced to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Downloading past purchases from the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Cheers,

- Judy

May 11, 2014 1:54 PM in response to Catnja

Hi Catnja,

If you are planning to keep both the iTunes Store purchases and iCloud account separate, then I'd create the separate User Account on the computer for your son so that he has his own iTunes library. Don't sync his iPad to your iTunes library. Just copy your current Music folder to an external drive, and then switch Users to your son and add only the music your son wants to his own iTunes library.

Adding music and other content to iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1473

When your son has all of the music he wants in his iTunes library authorized to his new Apple ID, then he can sync his new iPad to it.

- Judy

Transferring some things to another ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.