Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I used my icloud/Apple ID for my daughters new ipad2

I used my own apple/icloud ID on my daughters new ipad2 but now wish to give her, her own. Can I do this without losing her apps? Many thanks

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on May 4, 2014 1:33 PM

2 replies

May 6, 2014 8:33 AM in response to Mnicholls40

Hi Mnicholls40,

Welcome to the Support Communities!

It's a good idea to create a unique Apple ID for your daughter to keep her iCloud contacts, calendars, etc. separate from yours. If you share a computer, I would also recommend your daughter have a separate User Account for this reason. Regarding her apps and iTunes .... if she has a lot, then she can continue to use your Apple ID for iTunes Store only. Otherwise, she can start fresh and purchase Apps and music under her new Apple ID. The article below explains this in more detail. Be sure to read the Frequently Asked Questions section.

Using your Apple ID for Apple services

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895

An Apple ID is the email address you use as a login for just about everything you do with Apple, including using iCloud to store your content, buying songs from the iTunes Store, and downloading apps from the App Store.

When you set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can use the same Apple ID for iCloud services and purchases on the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store. You can also use one Apple ID for iCloud services and another Apple ID for store purchases (including iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match). You will get all the benefits of iCloud whether you use the same Apple ID for iCloud and store purchases, or different IDs for each.

I have purchased music, apps, or books with multiple Apple IDs. How can I get all of this content onto my iOS device?

First, you need to copy all of your purchased content so it is on the same Mac or PC with iTunes. This computer should be the one you sync your device with. For more information on how to move your content, see these articles:

Next, authorize your computer to play content with each Apple ID in iTunes. Once your computer is authorized for all your content, it can be synced to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Cheers,

- Judy

May 6, 2014 8:42 AM in response to Mnicholls40

Since the app were purchased with your ID they are your apps. Given that I feel it is better that your daughter use her own Apple ID. The apps purchased or downloaded with your Apple ID will always be associated with your ID and they will require your Apple ID and password in order to update those apps.

My suggestion would be to back up all data and files from those apps, delete them from your daughters iPad and then download them again using your daughters Apple ID. Any apps that were purchased will require that your daughter purchase them again.

I used my icloud/Apple ID for my daughters new ipad2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.