Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change keyboard shortcut for "Find"

The default keyboard shortcut for the "find" function is Cmd-Opt-F. As you know, for virtually every other Mac app (if not all Mac apps), the shortcut for "find" is simply Cmd-F. In iTunes, though, Cmd-F turns the visualiser full-screen mode on and off. I never use the visualiser, and decades of Mac use have hard-wired my fingers for Cmd-F to be "find." I know that there is a method in System Preferences by which to change or assign associations between drop-down menu items and keyboard shortcuts, but there is no menu item for "find" so that method seems like a dead end.

Is there a way to replace Cmd-Opt-F with Cmd-F in iTunes?

Help, please!!! 🙂

G4 400 MHz AGP (Sawtooth), Mac OS X (10.4.5), 768 MiB

Posted on Aug 27, 2006 1:07 PM

8 replies

Sep 6, 2006 3:14 PM in response to darkhorse666

to be quite honest i dont no how exactly to do this,
i just know it can be done. i have had no problem
opening .plist files in vi-make sure you are in root
account for system files.

They (the .plist files) don't seem particularly readable in vi -- they seem to contain a lot of binary content. In earlier versions of OS X they were plain text and easily edited.....

Solaris huh? how powerful
is that? i dont know much about solaris . . . . like
to try it though. recommendations?

It's a more "traditional" Unix, meaning that it's very powerful, fairly bulletproof, very configurable, and pretty obtuse if you're not familiar with it. I like my Mac better!

Sep 8, 2006 11:43 PM in response to Declan MacLeod

sorry my mistake i forgot to say that i was using 10.1 on my unix rig, which i haven't updated for some reason. i actually didn't know that .plist showed up as binary files in 10.4. i guess i shouldn't upgrade at all then! as for your sawtooth you may not technically need to upgrade it but you will become so much more productive, faster+the whole experience is 100% better and much more streamlined. solaris sounds interesting i like how configurable it sounds this is a big plus. i will look at it in more detail! you may just have to get used to the find shortcut-maybe apple will include more powerful key mapping tools in 10.5!

Change keyboard shortcut for "Find"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.