Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Mavericks add support for 10 bit per channel capable monitors

Just bought a HP Dreamcolor z27X monitor and have a new Mac Pro 6,1 and would like to know if my workstation supports the full capabilities of the monitor I just purchased.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 4, 2014 2:13 PM

3 replies

May 13, 2014 5:57 AM in response to JonB8305

JonB8305 wrote:

10.9.3 still doesn't add the 10 bit support.

That 'is a strong inhalation of breath' (forum will not allow s..ks). I have to say Apple are falling way behind in terms of supporting current media standards.

Not ony has 10bit video been around for quite some time now and is something used and supported in Adobe products in the Windows world, but Apple have also failed to support HD audio standards as used in Blu-Ray as an example and also look like failing to support H.265 as will be used for 4K video. (H.265 is twice as efficient as H.264 making it far more practical for the much bigger bandwidth requirements of 4K video.)

Now in the case of HD audio and H.265 it might be that there is no justification from a playback point of view from Apple's perspective, but what Apple appear to have forgotten is that Mac used to be the first choice for creating media files and if Apple don't support these standards then Macs can no longer be viewed as being suitable for media creation. Therefore this is a huge own goal on Apple's part as content creators would be precisely those people looking to buy new Mac Pro systems and Apple have at least designed the hardware to support 4K editing even if their software is increasingly too feeble to support the required standards.

Note: I have previously submitted an enhancement request to Apple regarding 10bit video support, and also H.265 support, both prior to Mavericks being released.

I have no problem with Apple not supporting Blu-Ray playback in the form of providing themselves a Blu-Ray player. However as above I feel they should make the Mac or more accurately OS X able to utilise the same formats as this will allow both content creation tools, and also the possibility for a third-party Blu-Ray player that supports HD audio formats. It is apparently possible for a Mac running Windows in Boot Camp to play these HD audio formats which makes sense since Macs use pretty much the same hardware as 'real' PCs so it is just OS X that is the problem. In fact the way things are going even Linux is moving ahead of OS X in terms of media format support.

Does Mavericks add support for 10 bit per channel capable monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.