Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My contacts on my iphone 5 do not match what is in my icloud contacts. The contacts on my iphone 5 are the most current. Anything I add on my iphone 5 contacts does not show in my icloud account.

I am very frustrasted with trying to get my iophne 5c contacts list to sync with my icloud contact list. The new contacts I add to my iphone do not show up in my icloud contacts. What am I doing wrong?

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 4, 2014 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2014 3:47 PM

You are probably adding the new contacts to a non-iCloud account. Go to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars>Default Account (in the Contacts section) and set this to iCloud. Then add a new contact and see if it syncs properly now. If it does, you'll have to recreate the missing contacts again now that your default account is set properly. (If you have lots of them, I can give you a process that will copy them from the account they are in to your iCloud account if you would rather do that.)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2014 3:47 PM in response to BritishFire

You are probably adding the new contacts to a non-iCloud account. Go to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars>Default Account (in the Contacts section) and set this to iCloud. Then add a new contact and see if it syncs properly now. If it does, you'll have to recreate the missing contacts again now that your default account is set properly. (If you have lots of them, I can give you a process that will copy them from the account they are in to your iCloud account if you would rather do that.)

May 4, 2014 3:53 PM in response to randers4

I have lots of contacts on iphone that are not in icloud. Default accouint was set to icloiud.

Does it matter where on my iphone I created the contact. I did not use the contact app to create the new contact - I created teh new contact through the phone app selecting contacts at the bottom and then adding a new one. Woul dthis make a difference?

May 4, 2014 4:07 PM in response to BritishFire

If your default account was set to iCloud in settings, it should be created in the iCloud account regardless of how you create it on the phone.

Try adding a new test contact using the contacts app, then go to icloud.com from your computer and see if it appears there now.

Also, what accounts were listed in the Default Account setting on your phone besides iCloud? (Don't post your email addresses, just tell me what providers were listed there, such as On My iPhone, Gmail, Yahoo, Exchange, etc.)

Mar 15, 2015 10:09 AM in response to randers4

Randers4...

I have run into the same problem with a 5s that will not update all of my contacts. I followed your instructions on the previous post and found that when I add a contact in the 'contact' app it adds it to the iCloud, yet I have many other contacts that are not on the cloud. Is there a way of adding these contacts without manually adding them one by one?

Thanks for the help...

Jul 29, 2015 12:05 PM in response to randers4

(If you have lots of them, I can give you a process that will copy them from the account they are in to your iCloud account if you would rather do that.)

Hey there, Bozzy -

Did you by chance happen to post your process for copying contacts between accounts? I am definitely interested because I'm in the same boat as BritishFire was. My issues began when I hastily added contacts to my iPhone while not bothering to realize what was happening. I think I compounded the issue when I used an app that merge/purged my duplicate contacts most of which were from the Facebook group. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Jun 27, 2016 8:24 PM in response to Toja3030

Assuming you are still syncing contacts with your Yahoo account (if not, turn on contacts syncing with your Yahoo account again so the contacts appear on your device), then to the following:

1. Go to Settings>iCloud, turn Contacts to Off, choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (any iCloud contacts will still be in iCloud and will sync back later).
  2. Download the app My Contacts Backup. (If you have more than 500 contacts to transfer you will need the “Pro” version.) Use the app to back up the remaining contacts on your phone (from the other accounts) as a vCard attachment to an email that you send to yourself. Confirm that you have received the email.
  3. Go to Settings>iCloud and turn Contacts back to On.
  4. Go to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars>Default Account (in the Contacts section) and set this to iCloud.
  5. Go to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars…tap each of the other accounts you are syncing contacts with (such as your Yahoo account) and turn off contacts syncing with these accounts (otherwise you will see duplicate contacts on your device).
  6. Open the My Contacts Backup email and tap the attachment to import the contacts from the other accounts back to your device, and to iCloud.

My contacts on my iphone 5 do not match what is in my icloud contacts. The contacts on my iphone 5 are the most current. Anything I add on my iphone 5 contacts does not show in my icloud account.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.