Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Core Image?

Hey, I've recently switched to mac after being disappointed with my old pc. So far it's been great and I'm thoroughly happy. I'm interested in graphics and use Photoshop, Image Ready and iPhoto. So to increase my graphics options I decided to use Core Imgage that I have heard and read about, however, a Spotlight search shows that I don't have it. So I'm wondering does Core Image come with 10.4.7? Or has something gone pear-shaped and for some reason i don't have it for whatever reason. If so, is there a place I can download it, as I've not seen anything on the Apple site.

Thanks for any replies.

-baz

mini-mac, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Aug 27, 2006 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2006 2:25 PM

Welcome to the Discussions!

Core Image is an underlying technology of OS X Tiger. It basically allows software developers to speed up certain graphic calculations by off-loading those calculations to the graphics card processor rather than the main CPU. If your Mac supports Core Image, you will see it listed as such under the hardware profile accessed though About this Mac under Graphics/Displays.

Certain software may take advantage of Core Image, such as Apple's Aperture. I am not sure if Photoshop uses it.

bd
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2006 2:25 PM in response to baz249

Welcome to the Discussions!

Core Image is an underlying technology of OS X Tiger. It basically allows software developers to speed up certain graphic calculations by off-loading those calculations to the graphics card processor rather than the main CPU. If your Mac supports Core Image, you will see it listed as such under the hardware profile accessed though About this Mac under Graphics/Displays.

Certain software may take advantage of Core Image, such as Apple's Aperture. I am not sure if Photoshop uses it.

bd

Aug 27, 2006 2:52 PM in response to baz249

Mac OS X 10.4: Requirements for Quartz Extreme and Core Image graphics

If you're wondering what the video requirements are for Quartz Extreme and Core Image in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, find out in this informative document.

Note: Quartz Extreme and Core Image are impressive video enhancements in Tiger that appear on fast Macs. But even if you have an older computer that can't use Quartz Extreme or Core Image, it can still run Tiger if it meets the system requirements. If you have a third-party video card installed, contact the card manufacturer to determine if it is Tiger-compatible.
Quartz Extreme

Some appealing graphics effects, such as the "rotating cube" effect you see when using Fast User Switching to switch users, are powered by Quartz Extreme. Quartz Extreme uses OpenGL and a supported graphics card to reduce the number of onscreen calculations being performed by the CPU. To take advantage of Quartz Extreme, you need one of the following graphics cards:
ATI: Any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU, with 16 MB VRAM or better.
NVIDIA: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX or later, with 16 MB VRAM or better.
Core Image

Other graphics effects and optimizations in Tiger, such as the ripple effect that shows when you place a widget on Dashboard, are driven by Core Image. When a programmable GPU is present, Core Image uses the graphics card for image processing operations, freeing the CPU for other tasks. To take advantage of Core Image, you need one of the following graphics cards:
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
ATI Radeon 9550, 9650, 9600, 9600 XT, 9800 XT, X800 XT
nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL

If you have a different card, contact the manufacturer for Core Image compatibility information.
Verifying compatibility with System Profiler

With Mac OS X 10.4, you can use System Profiler to make sure your computer's GPU supports Quartz Extreme or Core Image.
Open System Profiler (it's in /Applications/Utilities, or, if started from the Tiger install disc, open it from the Utilities menu).
Click "Graphics/Displays" under Contents.
In the right pane under "Display," look for the Quartz Extreme and Core Image lines; next to each, you will see either "Supported" or "Not Supported."

Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only, and does not constitute Apple's recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

Core Image?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.