Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion can mount an external HDD but Mavericks can't

I have an external HDD that was encrypted using Mavericks FV2. Then I decrypted it using the same Mac with Mavericks. Next time I used the external HDD it was uncountable with Mavericks. Then I connected it to a Mac with Mountain Lion and it self mounted. When I upgraded that Mac to Mavericks it couldn't be mounted again. With a different Mac with Mountain Lion it self mounted itself.

BTW, it didn't matter if I was using USB 3.0 or FW800.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

TIA.

Posted on May 4, 2014 5:51 PM

9 replies

May 5, 2014 3:27 PM in response to dianeoforegon

I used DU. I get a generic icon depending upon which interface/port I'm using: USB 3.0 or FW800.

I think the issue has something to do with the FV2 encryption and unecryption that leaves the drive mountable and usable with Mountain Lion but not with Mavericks despite that the encryption and unecryption was done with a Mavericks Mac.

I agree that I'll most likely have to reformat the drive with DU. I was hoping at a minimum for an explanation of what was going on and at best something that I could do so I wouldn't have to resort to copying the 1.5TB of data off to another HDD. Sometimes I get lucky with my problems here and learn something new and other times it's like calling the help desk and the first they say is: "Did you reboot yet?"

Thanks for trying Diane Of Oregon.

Mountain Lion can mount an external HDD but Mavericks can't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.