Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Core 2 Duo vs Core i7

I have a MBP 8,2. I Just purchased my dad a MBP 5,5. I am not sure what year that apple switched from core 2 duo to the i7.. But it seems strange to me that reading online everyone claims that the i5 and i7 models are much superior... Every core 2 duo machine I have used seems to be much quicker then the i7... Now my machine is a quad core so i can run more logic tracks (which is nice for me).. But other than this, I am jealous of the older (2009) MBP (Core 2 Duo) machine then my own (2011) MBP (i7).

Just testing application opening speeds my computer took 15 seconds to open Maps app... While my dads old one took only 5 seconds... This doesnt make sense and would seem to me that the newer models should be faster then the older models..

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 4, 2014 10:42 PM

11 replies

May 4, 2014 10:50 PM in response to gritzildino

Application launch times have more to do with the Hard Drive than the CPU. If you check, my guess is that on your MacBook Pro you have a hard drive that runs at 5400RPM, and that your dad's MacBook Pro he probably has a 7200RPM drive. On my 2011 MacBook Pro which I installed a SSD in, the Maps program would open almost instantly.

May 4, 2014 11:54 PM in response to gritzildino

That video is interesting.. But I am very reluctant to believe it. To do a true test you wouldnt test restarting. You would test a cold boot.

Also, he shows youthe actual SSD that is intsalled on the Core2 Duo in the Syetem Profiler. Then claims that the i7 has an even faster SSD, but does not show what is actually installed in the System Profiler which makes it very suspect.

Core 2 Duo vs Core i7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.