Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Places function no longer works on iPhoto.

My Mac has OSX 10.6.8 and iPhoto 8.1.2. The Places function no longer works. I can select Places that I used on earlier photos, but it no longer locates new Places on the map. I have read other people's discussions of this problem on the web, but I am not technical and do not understand much of what they say. Any suggestions for a no-technical person would be welcome.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 5, 2014 4:30 AM

6 replies

May 29, 2014 12:45 AM in response to macrmj

I have this same problem on my new MacBook Pro. The biggest problem is that the embedded Google will NOT find most things that Google Maps finds. For example, the Oberoi Amarvillas in Agra India.

I also can't move the pin for any of the places it already knows. I wonder if this might be related to trackpad settings? I can't find one that looks like it might help.

I can find locations using their map coordinates (for example, 27.168647, 78.049150) and then go back and rename the place to something more helpful. But I can't fine tune the size of the location, which makes it hard to have highly localized places. And it gets the name of the state wrong, which makes it hard to find locations by general location.

This puts a damper on processing photos right away, if I can't record them while I still remember their locations.

Places function no longer works on iPhoto.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.