Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There was an error during movie encoding

Hi,

I've read through previous discussions on this forum with the above headline but nothing seems to help me with my problen.

I've recorded hundreds of movies using iDVD and all of a sudden I've run into a brick wall with this error.

I use animoto for creating dynamic slideshows and download mp4 movies from their website to my desktop, and then they are imported into iTunes.

When I open iDVD, I create a movie by importing some media from iPhoto (photos for the menu) and then import the video (which is a mp4 movie, approx 300mb in size from itunes). I burn the disc....this normally takes about 15 mins of rendereing before 2 mins burning the disc, however after rendering for a few minutes I get the "there was an error during movie encodin" message and that's it?

I have over 30gb free space on my start up disc. I've also tried creating a disc image as mentioned in other forums but run into the same error message.

Any help or advice would be great appreciated!

Thanks and regards,

John

Posted on May 5, 2014 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2014 12:33 AM

Good evening, John.

Interesting process -- I hadn't heard of animoto. For me, this iDVD encoding error message usually means there's an incompatibility in my process -- but with such a good track record, it sounds like something changed at animoto? or an iTunes upgrade? any changes to your System or iLife software?

If you can double-click and play the mp4 file you downloaded, then animoto isn't likely to be the problem (make sure it's an mp4 file and not the ISO version from animoto).

If you can play the file in iTunes (I'm not sure why iTunes is necessary in the process), then probably iTunes isn't introducing the incompatibility.

What if you drag the mp4 and drop it on an iDVD menu (and skip iTunes)?

MPEG Streamclip can transcode (reformat) your mp4 file into DV Stream (.dv) which is a native iDVD format. Streamclip is free and perhaps iDVD will handle the .dv file better than the mp4 version.

John

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2014 12:33 AM in response to johnnymcphoto

Good evening, John.

Interesting process -- I hadn't heard of animoto. For me, this iDVD encoding error message usually means there's an incompatibility in my process -- but with such a good track record, it sounds like something changed at animoto? or an iTunes upgrade? any changes to your System or iLife software?

If you can double-click and play the mp4 file you downloaded, then animoto isn't likely to be the problem (make sure it's an mp4 file and not the ISO version from animoto).

If you can play the file in iTunes (I'm not sure why iTunes is necessary in the process), then probably iTunes isn't introducing the incompatibility.

What if you drag the mp4 and drop it on an iDVD menu (and skip iTunes)?

MPEG Streamclip can transcode (reformat) your mp4 file into DV Stream (.dv) which is a native iDVD format. Streamclip is free and perhaps iDVD will handle the .dv file better than the mp4 version.

John

May 11, 2014 9:21 AM in response to johnnymcphoto

Did you by chance make any edits to the video after it was added to the iDVD project? If you did that triggers a bug in iDVD. You might fix it by going to the Advance menu and selecting delete encoded assets.

Then follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

If that fails the surest method is to start a new project and add the media anew.

OT

Nov 26, 2015 6:44 AM in response to johnnymcphoto

Ok So i have resolve the problem. for anyone to use IDVD you have to render in to the default quicktime format in order for your movies to be compatible to encode i only use Final cut pro 10 when rendering i render to default to play only in apple products that my friends, resolves your incompatibility of encoders have a great day.

Jan 5, 2016 11:32 AM in response to johnnymcphoto

I also received this error when trying to burn a disk image where the iDVD project had a total of 3 video's. All were created in Final Cut Pro X. To troubleshoot, I added them in one at a time and tried creating the disk image again until I found the video that was causing the issue. It was a photo slide show I created in FCP. I tried exporting it in every format (Pro Res, mp4, mkv, m4v) including using Streamclip 1.9.2 and saving as a .dv file as well as Handbreak. The burn would fail every time. I finally just tried adding in audio to the slide show in FCP and just lowered the volume to 0. Then exported to ProRes (.mov). This resolved the issue. Researching more into this a found that when iDVD is encoding it will look for audio and fail if there is no audio found.

Jan 5, 2016 11:39 AM in response to Aubrey Street

finally just tried adding in audio to the slide show in FCP and just lowered the volume to 0. Then exported to ProRes (.mov). This resolved the issue. Researching more into this a found that when iDVD is encoding it will look for audio and fail if there is no audio found.

Yes. It was found in an earlier topic that video without audio would give the multiplexing error. Glad you discovered the problem and got a fix.

There was an error during movie encoding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.