Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Classic iPod Charging Problem

I wonder as to if someone could guide me to cure the peculiar problem that I have, as follow, on one of my Classic iPods which is 6the Generation 160GB (Original Model, not the Latest Model). It does not show the Battery Charge Status Icon during charging, and the screen just goes to dark blank. I can still use the iPod, however, since the battery will be somehow charged up. It is a slow rate charge and takes 10 hours or so, but it will be fully charged. I then can play my music for nearly 20 hours, so that the battery itself should not be blamed for the "Charge Status Icon No Show" and "Slow Charge". Since the large Status Icon does not work during charging, I must push the Center Disc Switch or the Menu Switch to wake up the screen and go by the Small Battery Icon located at the upper right corner in order to see as to how much has been charged up. Let's say that I have started charging 5 hours ago when the Small Battery Icon has indicated, with green color, 20% or so of remained battery energy. It is quite disappointed though to see this 20% or so of green area once again 5 later. I felt when I saw this "20% Green" as the first time that there is no charging at all in 5 hours. I felt that this iPod does not take charge any more. I was wrong, and it has been charged, however, and the peculiar fact is this. When I push the Center Disc or Menu Button at this 5 hours of charge point, the green area of the Battery Icon suddenly changes from 20% to 60% as the screan chages to the next menu items. I was so disappointed a second ago to see this same 20% green, but I am now very happy to see 60% green. 40% has been charged in 5 hours. If I continue for 5 more hours of charging, the green area will increase to 100% of full charge point. It took me a several days of experiments to find that the charging circuitry is still working, although its function is not perfect. It took me a quite some time since there is no quick charging and it is a slow rate of charging, in addition to the fact that the Small Battery Icon does not indicate the charge status value in green immediately and there is a jump indication involved. Now for the cure, I have tried to restore the iPod with the iTunes twice although I felt that the problem does not lie within iTunes or within computer. I believe in this way since 4 other iPods that I sync with the same computer do not have the same Battery Charge Status Icon problem. I have also tried "Push and Hold the Center Disc Switch and Menu Switsh at the same until the Apple Icon comes up" kind of re-setting operation 3 times, but none of my attempts has solved the problem. Please help. I apologize you for my long writing.

Posted on May 5, 2014 7:02 AM

2 replies

May 7, 2014 6:44 AM in response to TsubakiMusic

Hey TsubakiMusic,

Thanks for the question. Let’s see if we can isolate this issue further by restoring your iPod to factory settings:

Restoring iPod to factory settings

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1339

Additionally, you can learn about the different methods of charging your iPod, and what may work best:

Charging your iPod battery

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1384

iPod: About the battery charge status icon

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1435

Thanks,

Matt M.

May 7, 2014 5:52 PM in response to matt00

As I mentioned in my original writing, one of my attempts to solve the problem was the Restration, by use of the iTunes. I have tried twice, but it did not work. As I am quite aware that different adaptors or power sources make different charging effects for the iPods, I have also tried and investigated this area, but such power source differences did not make any difference for the problem on the iPod. Although I did not mention in my original writing, I have also discharged the battery completely to see if the charging characteristics after complete discharge would reset-back to normal or not. I have tried this a several times but there was no reset-back. I believe that my iPod in question has lost the Quick Charge Mode basically, and what I need is to recover this High Current Charging Mode. While my previous attempt of discharging was down to the point where the iPod terminates music playback, I have just decided to try for Deep Discharging. This is to discharge the battery further, beyond the Audio-Terminating Point, so that it is rather risky but I wish to try it to see if such Deep Discharge would reset the charging characteristics back to normal, and I can recover the Quick Charging Mode including the full size of Battery Charge Status Icon on the screen or not.

Classic iPod Charging Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.