Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adware/Malware Problem

I am not 100% sure how I actually got this issue but its really bothering me. I have some adware on my mac that is causing random text in any browser I use to turn into spam links and ads. I have tried to use the methods posted on thesafemac.com but that didnt solve the issue. I have now removed all extensions in the browsers I use as well as ran CleanMyMac and ClamXav, neither have removed the issue. Can someone help me get rid of this junk?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 5, 2014 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2014 9:30 AM

You installed the "DownLite" trojan, perhaps under a different name. Remove it as follows.

Malware is constantly changing to get around the defenses against it. The instructions in this comment are valid as of now, as far as I know. They won't necessarily be valid in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for more recent discussions or start a new one.

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Application Support/VSearch

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item named "VSearch" selected. Drag the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password.

Repeat with each of these lines:

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.vsearch.agent.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.vsearch.daemon.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.vsearch.helper.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/Jack.plist /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/Jack /System/Library/Frameworks/VSearch.framework

Some of these items may be absent, in which case you'll get a message that the file can't be found. Skip that item and go on to the next one.

Restart and empty the Trash. Don't try to empty the Trash until you have restarted.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Uninstall any extensions you don't know you need, including any that have the word "Spigot" in the description. If in doubt, uninstall all extensions. Do the equivalent for the Firefox and Chrome browsers, if you use either of those.

This trojan is distributed on illegal websites that traffic in pirated movies. If you, or anyone else who uses the computer, visit such sites and follow prompts to install software, you can expect much worse to happen in the future.

You may be wondering why you didn't get a warning from Gatekeeper about installing software from an unknown developer, as you should have. The reason is that the DownLite developer has a codesigning certificate issued by Apple, which causes Gatekeeper to give the installer a pass. Apple could revoke the certificate, but as of this writing, has not done so, even though it's aware of the problem. It must be said that this failure of oversight is inexcusable and has seriously compromised the value of Gatekeeper and the Developer ID program. You cannot rely on Gatekeeper alone to protect you from harmful software.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2014 9:30 AM in response to Sactown024

You installed the "DownLite" trojan, perhaps under a different name. Remove it as follows.

Malware is constantly changing to get around the defenses against it. The instructions in this comment are valid as of now, as far as I know. They won't necessarily be valid in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for more recent discussions or start a new one.

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Application Support/VSearch

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item named "VSearch" selected. Drag the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password.

Repeat with each of these lines:

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.vsearch.agent.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.vsearch.daemon.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.vsearch.helper.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/Jack.plist /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/Jack /System/Library/Frameworks/VSearch.framework

Some of these items may be absent, in which case you'll get a message that the file can't be found. Skip that item and go on to the next one.

Restart and empty the Trash. Don't try to empty the Trash until you have restarted.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Uninstall any extensions you don't know you need, including any that have the word "Spigot" in the description. If in doubt, uninstall all extensions. Do the equivalent for the Firefox and Chrome browsers, if you use either of those.

This trojan is distributed on illegal websites that traffic in pirated movies. If you, or anyone else who uses the computer, visit such sites and follow prompts to install software, you can expect much worse to happen in the future.

You may be wondering why you didn't get a warning from Gatekeeper about installing software from an unknown developer, as you should have. The reason is that the DownLite developer has a codesigning certificate issued by Apple, which causes Gatekeeper to give the installer a pass. Apple could revoke the certificate, but as of this writing, has not done so, even though it's aware of the problem. It must be said that this failure of oversight is inexcusable and has seriously compromised the value of Gatekeeper and the Developer ID program. You cannot rely on Gatekeeper alone to protect you from harmful software.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Sep 23, 2015 3:21 PM in response to Linc Davis

Link can you help me with this:

EtreCheck version: 2.4.2 (142)

Report generated 9/23/15, 5:08 PM

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: (What does this mean?)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011) (Verified)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro8,1

1 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2-core

4 GB RAM Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery: Health = Check Battery - Cycle count = 820 - SN = W01514K8BD3LA

Video Information: (What does this mean?)

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Color LCD 1280 x 800

System Software: (What does this mean?)

OS X 10.10.5 (14F27) - Time since boot: less than an hour

Disk Information: (What does this mean?)

ST9250827AS disk0 : (250.06 GB) (Rotational)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

Fausto HD (disk1) / : 248.83 GB (130.59 GB free) - 16 errors

Drive failure!

Core Storage: disk0s2 249.20 GB Online

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS31N ()

USB Information: (What does this mean?)

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Inc. BRCM2070 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Thunderbolt Information: (What does this mean?)

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Configuration files: (What does this mean?)

/etc/sudoers, File size 1312 but expected 1275

/etc/hosts - Count: 1

Gatekeeper: (What does this mean?)

Mac App Store and identified developers

Problem System Launch Daemons: (What does this mean?)

[failed] com.apple.systemstatsd.plist [Click for details]

User Login Items: (What does this mean?)

None

Internet Plug-ins: (What does this mean?)

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: Java 8 Update 60 build 27 Check version

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 19.0.0.185 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

Flash Player: Version: 19.0.0.185 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10

Unity Web Player: Version: UnityPlayer version 5.0.3f2 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0

3rd Party Preference Panes: (What does this mean?)

Flash Player [Click for support]

Java [Click for support]

Time Machine: (What does this mean?)

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU: (What does this mean?)

23% installd

10% coreduetd

5% WindowServer

1% fontd

0% storedownloadd

Top Processes by Memory: (What does this mean?)

369 MB kernel_task

233 MB mdworker(13)

94 MB Safari

70 MB installd

53 MB storedownloadd

Virtual Memory Information: (What does this mean?)

525 MB Free RAM

3.49 GB Used RAM (664 MB Cached)

1 MB Swap Used

Diagnostics Information: (What does this mean?)

Sep 23, 2015, 04:37:36 PM Self test - passed

Sep 22, 2015, 02:53:17 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Mail_2015-09-22-145317_[redacted].hang

Sep 22, 2015, 08:25:18 AM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/BitdefenderVirusScanner_2015-09-22-082518_[reda cted].hang

Sep 22, 2015, 08:22:44 AM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/BitdefenderVirusScanner_2015-09-22-082244_[reda cted].hang

Sep 22, 2015, 06:46:06 AM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Safari_2015-09-22-064606_[redacted].hang

Sep 21, 2015, 09:36:09 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/FaceTime_2015-09-21-213609_[redacted].hang

Sep 23, 2015 4:56 PM in response to faustofrommiami

Linc does not normally respond to "Me Too" requests, is probably not monitoring this discussion any more and hates EtreCheck, so you need a different approach.

Start a new discussion and describe your problem completely without posting EtreCheck until asked for it or some other diagnostics. That way a lot more people will be able to respond more quickly.

BTW, there's no evidence of Adware/Malware so you should not jump to that conclusion.

That being said, it would appear that your hard drive is failing, so you need to deal with that ASAP since I see you aren't using Time Machine. Back up your drive and take it in to have it checked out/replaced.

Adware/Malware Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.