Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Passcode Theft Protection

We all know that the addition of the biometrics to the iPhone 5s has led to a decrease in theft of iPhones in general. To make apple devices even more of an unfavourable item to thieves I propose adding a feature in a future iOS update. The feature would be paired to the "Power Off" function and not the restart function (as the restart function is more advanced and automatically starts up again). If the would be thief attempts to power the phone off in attempt to avoid calls or "find my iPhone" Tracking it will ask for the usual passcode/fingerprint used to access (and if not known the phone will remain a tracking beacon until battery runs out or said thief smashes iPhone).

My Question is: Will Apple add this feature in a future iOS update?

Regards

LDM

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1, iOS 8

Posted on May 5, 2014 2:22 PM

11 replies

May 5, 2014 2:31 PM in response to themontaque

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Whether Apple will ever add such a feature I don't know, but it would probably make trying to troubleshoot an iPhone and solve problems a complete nightmare since it would be just about impossible to restore the iPhone should the interface lock up and refuse to accept a passcode or fingerprint. And it wouldn't solve the issue of a thief just removing or replacing the SIM.

As to your intitial premise, it's not the fingerprint sensor that's reducing iPhone thefts near as much as the Activation Lock that is part of iOS 7.

Regards.

May 5, 2014 2:39 PM in response to themontaque

In addition to making troubleshooting a nightmare, it might also cause the device to fail safety testing and become unsellable in much of the civilized world. Removing the ability to power the phone off without a passcode could easily create a safety hazard were it to be damaged to the point that the display was unusable and the battery could leak, catch fire, or worse.

May 6, 2014 7:21 AM in response to varjak paw

Passcode is a feature you activate during or after initialization, therefor not a problem during testing. If the power off is linked to whether a passcode is activated or not that is the question.

Sorry I beg to difffer, I live in South Africa - Where a thief has not completed any significant schooling. (How is he going to get that tricky sim card out before getting caught (possibly 30 -120 minutes later with tracking)? Use a toothpick? NO, a paperclip? Where will he find one of those, in his office at home? LMAO)

My aim is to use it as a homing beacon. The battery can die yes, the battery can also be taken out with some difficulty but we are in a world of oppurtunists that one day become experts (In Burglary terms).

May 6, 2014 7:31 AM in response to KiltedTim

I dont think your theory is making sense, who sells a phone without resetting back to factory default? No passcode on reboot. Battery Leak or worse you say? I think Apple has come up with some ingenius shortcuts to complete tasks, why not build in a protocol to allow passcode-less shutdown only after 5% battery life - Just a Theory (My point is the longer the phone is online the easier it will be to retrieve it). 🙂

Its not like the person can play Minion Rush until the battery dies. 😁

Also, do you sell Jailbroken iPhones, cos I am not sure I understood "unsellable in the civilized world"? < 😉

May 6, 2014 7:44 AM in response to themontaque

Find my iPhone is not an 'anti-theft' device. It is linked to the Activation Lock, which is.

What I mean is it will FAIL regulatory safety tests if it can't be powered off, most likely resulting in it being illegal to sell in most places.

The simple fact is, what you're asking for is not a feature of the iPhone. Suggest it to Apple if you like. No one here can do anything about it.

May 6, 2014 7:57 AM in response to themontaque

You obviously do not understand the issue - I support dozens of iOS devices and know exactly what sort of grief any passcode-protected poweroff or restart would be - and I don't have any interest in trying to debate it further. You can offer suggestions to Apple if you wish.

As to SIM removal, any dimbulb with any pointy object can remove a SIM in seconds. Perhaps they don't have paperclips in South Africa, but SA is just a small part of the world, and most of the world has paperclips.

Passcode Theft Protection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.