Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I message someone (who is long distance) via wifi and not get charged?

I have a long distance friend who's in a different country and they have an IPHONE just like I do. She mentioned us texting each other but is worried about getting charged for long distance messages. If I text them while on wifi instead of text message...will I still get charged?

*if you need more details*

the message box to be blue (wifi) instead of green (text message)

iPhone 4S

Posted on May 5, 2014 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2014 3:49 PM

I use iMessage with friends in the UK and in Australia also.

Only thing I would advise both of you to do is go into Settings>Messages and turn Send as SMS off. This will prevent iMessages from automatically being sent as text messages if iMessage isn't working correctly. Instead, you'll see a "Not Delivered" notice. This will in turn prevent you from being charged for international messages.

You can still force a message through as text if you wish.

Hopefully that makes sense!

~Lyssa

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2014 3:49 PM in response to Hutcherson_fan13

I use iMessage with friends in the UK and in Australia also.

Only thing I would advise both of you to do is go into Settings>Messages and turn Send as SMS off. This will prevent iMessages from automatically being sent as text messages if iMessage isn't working correctly. Instead, you'll see a "Not Delivered" notice. This will in turn prevent you from being charged for international messages.

You can still force a message through as text if you wish.

Hopefully that makes sense!

~Lyssa

May 5, 2014 3:15 PM in response to Hutcherson_fan13

If you both have iMessage on and the message is transmitted as an iMessage then there is no charge from the carriers for a text message. iMessage can use Wi-Fi if available and cellular data if Wi-Fi is not available. If Wi-Fi is not available and it uses cellular data you (or she) would have that counted against the cellular data allowance on the phone plan but would still not be charged for a text message. Some more information on messaging: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3529

Can I message someone (who is long distance) via wifi and not get charged?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.