Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete my photos will iCloud still have my photos via photo stream?

I need to free up space on my I-pad if I delete photos as long as it is not from my photo stream will they be ok on the iCloud?

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.6

Posted on May 5, 2014 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2014 3:26 PM

No. iCloud will not back up your photos. Photo stream photos only remain in iCloud for 30 days, and if you delete them from your iPad, they are also deleted from all your devices as well as from iCloud. Camera roll photos are included in your iCloud backup, but if you delete photos and continue backing up your iPad, the backup containing the deleted photos will be overwritten by one that doesn't, and they will be lost.

To keep your photos, import them to your computer from your camera roll as explained here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083. Then you can safely delete them from your iPad.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2014 3:26 PM in response to Trinity Marshall

No. iCloud will not back up your photos. Photo stream photos only remain in iCloud for 30 days, and if you delete them from your iPad, they are also deleted from all your devices as well as from iCloud. Camera roll photos are included in your iCloud backup, but if you delete photos and continue backing up your iPad, the backup containing the deleted photos will be overwritten by one that doesn't, and they will be lost.

To keep your photos, import them to your computer from your camera roll as explained here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083. Then you can safely delete them from your iPad.

Sep 11, 2014 8:38 PM in response to Trinity Marshall

This is confusing.

I was looking at upgrading my free 5 GB of iCloud storage. But apparently, for reasons I don't understand, in order for the photos to stay in the iCloud, I have to keep them on my iDevice.

Am I missing something here? I thought iCloud Drive was supposed to be comparable to Google Drive and DropBox.

Now, I take pictures on my iDevice, upload them to my Google Drive and then delete them from my iDevice.

Seriously? I can't do this with iCloud Drive? Then what is the point of it?

Or maybe I am missing something...

Sep 11, 2014 9:19 PM in response to Mark0628

I'm not sure that iOS 8 has total file upload capabilities for iCloud Drive. It appears that the iOS devices can upload documents to the iCloud Drive, but that may be it. When Yosemite comes out and the new Photo app, I think that is when you will be able to upload photos to the iCloud Drive.

This is new for all of us, so just sharing what I have read on the Apple sites....

Cheers,

GB

If I delete my photos will iCloud still have my photos via photo stream?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.