Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Built-in keyboard and trackpad not detected, what happened?

Hi there,

I was just using my mac book pro as I always do and suddenly both the built-in keyboard and trackpad stopped working.

I rebooted the mac book but then I received a message that neither a keyboard nor a trackpad were detected so the system started to look for bluetooth versions of them. I am only able to type this post using an old usb keyboard and mouse I found in my stuff.

Does anyone have the same problem?

I am using a Mac book pro 15 inches from 2011 with Mavericks 10.9.2

Best regards,

Cicero

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Bought in 2011

Posted on May 5, 2014 3:44 PM

8 replies

May 5, 2014 5:26 PM in response to Cicero Neves

Try Repair Disk. You will of course have to use the external kb.

Boot the computer and hold the option key down. You will see two hard drives. Select Recovery and continue.

1. Select Disk Utility, and then click Continue.
  2. In the list at the left, select the item you want to repair. (Be sure to select an item that’s indented to the right in the list, not an item at the far left.)
  3. Click First Aid.
  4. If Disk Utility tells you the disk is about to fail, back it up and replace it. You can’t repair it.
  5. Click Repair Disk.

When that is done, quit DU and restart.

Oct 23, 2014 9:18 AM in response to Cicero Neves

I see that this was a problem many months ago, but I just had the same issue with my 2008 Macbook Pro and I want to post the solution for others who may search here for answers. My keyboard and trackpad stopped working soon after I downloaded Mavericks; but the OS was not the issue. The issue is apparently that the ribbon cable, in the battery compartment, connecting the keyboard and trackpad to their internal USB board needs pressure against it. I had recently (about a month and a half ago) replaced my battery with one from the Apple Store and, at the time, I noticed that it did not fit as snugly as the previous one. The solution I found (at least for older Macbook Pros) is on the following webpage:

http://jasonrobb.com/v2/2008/11/24/macbook-pro-unresponsive-keyboard-trackpad-so lution/

Good luck!

Sep 29, 2015 6:42 AM in response to Eustace Mendis

I am here with the same condition. My MacBook configuration is given under <>

-----------

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00

Right is very moment am writing this post using a usb keyboard and usb mouse.
Please anybody help me to get rid me out of this torment....

Built-in keyboard and trackpad not detected, what happened?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.