Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks auto-corrects words before I finish typing

10.9.2, 1.8 GHz i7 mid-2011 MBA, 4GB RAM

I love using 'Correct spelling automatically' as it saves me a lot of back-pedalling when typing.

Problem is, it sometimes kicks in while I'm still typing a word. For example, I'll start typing 'found', but as soon as I've typed 'fo', Mavericks sometimes corrects it to 'of'. So by the time I've finished typing the word, I end up with 'ofund'. Usually though, I see the correction appear iOS style as I type 'fo', which then disappears as I complete the word 'found'.

Is anyone else seeing this? Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks for reading!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 4GB Ram, 256GB SSD

Posted on May 5, 2014 8:21 PM

8 replies

May 6, 2014 5:28 AM in response to benwiggy

Checked it, 'fo' is not there. I use custom text substitutions quite heavily. I believe them to be separate from the automatic spelling corrections (like 'the' for 'teh') which don't appear in the text substitutions list.

The issue as I see it is Mavericks shouldn't change anything, correction or substitution, while typing a word. Space, return and a trackpad click are delimiters that tells Mavericks that typing of a word has finished, and the substitution/correction can be applied. In my case, corrections sometimes appear before I do any of those.

I could add 'fo' as a substitution for 'fo', but that was just one example. It seems to happen with random pre-delimiter 'errors' at random times.

May 6, 2014 7:03 AM in response to benwiggy

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Yes, I have a few macro programs, actually… 😊

Quicksilver for triggers, Dash for some more complex text substitutions (variables, clipboard integration), and a very ancient Spark.app for a couple of triggers that would otherwise tie up Quicksilver.

I'll see if I can catch the issue when one or more of those apps are not running, too.

Mar 2, 2015 11:18 AM in response to philostein

I also have experienced this for a while, most often in Pages (v. 5.5.2), since that's where I do most of my typing. Most recently I typed "during" and it changed it to "yuring" because it was autocorrecting duri to yuri. I will consider creating a new user account, per benwiggy's suggestion, though this problem does not happen regularly enough and I would prefer not to do all of my work under a different user account.

Mavericks auto-corrects words before I finish typing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.