Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

blocked contact still able to send imessages

I have an iPhone 4S with software up to date (iOS 7.1.1), and recently blocked a contact, hoping to stop all text messages, calls, and (specifcally) iMessages. His contact info includes his number and his email address, so I was expecting it to block everything, but he was still able to iMessage me today. So I added him again to my block list, this time adding specifically just his email. Which means I have two entires for him on my block list, one that shows "name (home)" and "name (email address)". Will this work or do I need to change my apple ID? All the tutorials I've seen online are very basic and say that blocking someone through the message, phone and facetime also blocks iMessages, but it evidently didn't for me. And all the issues in the forums with blocking through iMessage are before iOS 7, so they're irrelevant to what I'm dealing with.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 5, 2014 9:24 PM

6 replies

May 5, 2014 9:46 PM in response to smelville

This is from the iOS 7 iPhone user guide.

Block unwanted messages. On a contact card, tap Block this Caller. You can see someone’s contact card while viewing a message by tapping Contact, then tap . You can also block callers in Settings > Phone > Blocked. You will not receive voice calls, FaceTime calls, or text messages from blocked callers. For more information about blocking calls, see support.apple.com/kb/HT5845.

May 5, 2014 10:12 PM in response to ssschmidt

yes, like I said, this is exactly what I did to block him. when I tap on his contact, it says "unblock contact", so my phone recognises he's blocked.

what I want to know is, will having a second block entry on my phone specifically citing his email address block iMessages, or do I have to turn off iMessages/change number, what exactly.

by the way, this is someone I was talking to and recently found out is very abusive. I'm trying to cut contact with him to prevent harassment. I don't want it to reach the point where I'm harassed before anyone will help me.

blocked contact still able to send imessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.