Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I delete everything from my old I phone 5 but keep all of it on my new I phone 5. If i delete things off one phone it deletes of both.

How do I delete everything on my old I phone 5 (including pictures, contacts etc) but manage to keep all of them on my new phone and my i pad.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 6, 2014 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2014 4:27 AM

If you only want to delete select material from your old phone delete the iCloud account (from that device ONLY). Go into Settings > iCloud > Delete Account > Delete > Keep on My iPhone. Following these steps will not affect information on your new phone or your iPad and allow you to delete information from your old iPhone without removing it from your other devices.

If you want to erase all your information from your old phone and sell it or give it to someone else to use you can erase the entire phone and restore it to manufacturer settings. This will allow the new user to set it up under their own Apple ID or restore it from an iCloud back up of their old phone. To do this go into Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings >Erase iPhone > Erase iPhone. This method also will not effect your other devices.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2014 4:27 AM in response to goldigga

If you only want to delete select material from your old phone delete the iCloud account (from that device ONLY). Go into Settings > iCloud > Delete Account > Delete > Keep on My iPhone. Following these steps will not affect information on your new phone or your iPad and allow you to delete information from your old iPhone without removing it from your other devices.

If you want to erase all your information from your old phone and sell it or give it to someone else to use you can erase the entire phone and restore it to manufacturer settings. This will allow the new user to set it up under their own Apple ID or restore it from an iCloud back up of their old phone. To do this go into Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings >Erase iPhone > Erase iPhone. This method also will not effect your other devices.

Apr 25, 2015 2:44 AM in response to julainenoel

Simple deletion will not permanently erase all data from your old iPhone, they can still be recovered by some professional iPhone data recovery app. To protect your personal information, and keep your unwanted data deleted completely, you have to use professional iOS Data Eraser app to delete data on your old iPhone.

This is the guide on how to completely erase data from iPhone:

http://www.safewiper.com/tutorials/iphone-data-eraser.html

User uploaded file

how do I delete everything from my old I phone 5 but keep all of it on my new I phone 5. If i delete things off one phone it deletes of both.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.