Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I record audio on an iPad direct from a mac via line out

I use the noteability app alot, recording audio at a live lecture works great. However, due to a bug you can not add an audio file directly into your notes (at the moment), you must record them.

I have a bunch of podcasts that I would like to add to my notes. I know I could play them from my mac and record audio through the ipads mic but what I hoped to do was connect a male to male cable between the line out of my mac into my ipad, playing the audio without interferance. This didn't work

Does anyone know if there is a similar way to do this or something I could have done wrong.

Thanks

Posted on May 6, 2014 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2014 9:29 AM

yeah - you can do it, but you need an adapter. The earphone jack on a pad is a special jack with stereo headphone uot put and a seperate mic in channel. The adapters i have seen are usually built to accomodate a standard 1/4 in - into the pad, like the one in the attached link. In theory, you could use the lineout on the mac, to a 1/4 in male - then into this adapter to get it back into the pad. Somebody probably makes the cable you need with the 1/4 shift, but I couldn't find one.

Options - in you notes, insted of copying the file, put a link to the podcast

http://www.tmart.com/Multimedia-Guitar-Audio-Interface-Adapter-for-iPhone-iPod-T ouch-iPad-Black_p126356.html?fixed_price=us_us&utm_source=base&utm_medium=organi c&utm_term=87002502&utm_campaign=product&gclid=CPq6t_jal74CFdDm7AodhSoABw

Message was edited by: pjl123 forgot the link...

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2014 9:29 AM in response to gtatters

yeah - you can do it, but you need an adapter. The earphone jack on a pad is a special jack with stereo headphone uot put and a seperate mic in channel. The adapters i have seen are usually built to accomodate a standard 1/4 in - into the pad, like the one in the attached link. In theory, you could use the lineout on the mac, to a 1/4 in male - then into this adapter to get it back into the pad. Somebody probably makes the cable you need with the 1/4 shift, but I couldn't find one.

Options - in you notes, insted of copying the file, put a link to the podcast

http://www.tmart.com/Multimedia-Guitar-Audio-Interface-Adapter-for-iPhone-iPod-T ouch-iPad-Black_p126356.html?fixed_price=us_us&utm_source=base&utm_medium=organi c&utm_term=87002502&utm_campaign=product&gclid=CPq6t_jal74CFdDm7AodhSoABw

Message was edited by: pjl123 forgot the link...

Can I record audio on an iPad direct from a mac via line out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.