Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an old (read ancient) Apple Laserwriter 12/640 PS laser printer that I want to print to using my PC (running Windows 7). Suggestions?

I have an old (read ancient) Apple Laserwriter 12/640 PS laser printer - that still prints exceptionally well - that I want to print to using my PC (running Windows 7). Suggestions? While using Windows XP Pro, I used PC MacLan's version 9.01 and it worked beautifully. PC Maclan is no longer in business. Windows 7, however, doesn't even recognize any Apple printers in any of its lookups. Suggestions?

Posted on May 6, 2014 8:40 AM

1 reply

May 6, 2014 3:04 PM in response to Alan Blair

The LaserWriter 12/640 PS is a PostScript Level 2 and PCL5 printer with support for LPD (http://support.apple.com/kb/ta21876). How is the printer connected today? An external cable adapter (such as the Apple Ethernet Twisted-Pair Transceiver Model M0437) would allow Ethernet. Providing that an appropriate printer driver can be found (it may be worth checking whether a universal driver or a driver for a similar HP printer could be used), it should not be impossible to set up LPR printing under Windows 7.

Jan

I have an old (read ancient) Apple Laserwriter 12/640 PS laser printer that I want to print to using my PC (running Windows 7). Suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.