5 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2014 10:04 PM by BDAqua
AlecZ64 Level 1 (15 points)

Some PowerPC applications somehow have no package contents. Microsoft Word 2004 and Age of Empires II are examples. Normally, to run an application in Terminal, I can show its package contents, go into MacOS, and open the executable in there. But for applications without package contents, how do I do this?

Simply dragging the application into Terminal won't work. It's not an executable by itself. There's somehow an executable bundled inside that I can't figure out how to access.

Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 5.19.17 PM.png

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4
  • BDAqua Level 10 (122,202 points)

Hi, if you're running above 10.6.8 or don't have Rosetta intsalled, then you can't run it st all.

• AlecZ64 Level 1 (15 points)

The screenshot was taken on my Mac Pro 3,1 running 10.8.5, but the computer I am trying to run the program on is an eMac (PPC G4 processor). Sorry for the misleading screenshot.

Hmmm, this works here in Terminal 10.5.8 PPC/G5 !?

open /Volumes/Leo/Age\ of\ Empires\ II\ Gold/Age\ of\ Empires\ II

Maybe this???

Older Carbon applications have to be run via LaunchCFMApp because they are in the wrong binary format for Mac OS X, so LaunchCFMApp handles the necessary translation.

To launch a Carbon application directly (without using open), one has to actually run LaunchCFMApp, giving it the application as an argument:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/Current/Support/LaunchCFMAp p '/path/to/some/application'.

http://macosx.com/forums/howto-faqs/29520-how-launch-application-terminal.html

• AlecZ64 Level 1 (15 points)

The "open" command will open it (through Finder), but I want to run the actual executable directly so I can open two instances of the program. The second tip about using LaunchCFMApp works! One thing to be aware of is that the path you put in single quotes should not include those backslashes (\) before the spaces in a file path.

Also, thumbs up for having Age of Empires II

Good work, great news, thanks for the report!