Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can older Time Capsule be used as external drive MD032LL/A

will 2TB Apple Time Capsule able to be used as a external hard drive for Time Machine or does it have to be a NAS?

Thanks,

Don

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), two - 2TB external hard drives

Posted on May 6, 2014 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2014 7:01 PM

All Time Capsules have an internal drive and are designed for usage with Time Machine. In cases where it matters, its internal drive is considered to be network storage.

(106280)

12 replies

May 6, 2014 8:30 PM in response to Zimmer1956

Other users will be able to use the wireless network that the Time Capsule provides, if they have the wireless network password.

Set up a separate disk password for access to the Time Capsule hard drive. The only folks who will be able to access the Time Capsule hard drive will be the folks who have the Time Capsule disk password.

User uploaded file

May 10, 2014 9:22 AM in response to Bob Timmons

The only network I have is my personal Apple network that is my AirPort Extreme . I got the TC to use as my TM backup and replace the AirPort Extreme with it.

I don't need it to work as a NAS but I know it will. No one will have access except me.

It will continue to be used as wireless network for our iPads and iPhones and not set for anyone else to access.

As mentioned the Airport Express IS the only network I have. Sorry, but I am not real knowledgeable when it comes to networks, etc.

I Bought the TC to save space, not interested in the NAS aspect, but interested in using as TM and around my home for our other Apple products.

It was a good price,brand new in the box and thought it would replace the AirPort Extreme without any issues...

What do you think? Is this a good process to make this change or a waste of time?

All opinions and ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Don

May 10, 2014 11:31 AM in response to Zimmer1956

Sorry, but now you have me confused.

The only network I have is my personal Apple network that is my AirPort Extreme

OK, got it. The AirPort Extreme is providing your wireless network at this time.

As mentioned the Airport Express IS the only network I have

It was mentioned in the first statement above that your AirPort Extreme provides your network at the present time. Do you also have an AirPort Express that might be "extending" the network that the AirPort Extreme is providing?

It was a good price,brand new in the box and thought it would replace the AirPort Extreme without any issues...

The TC can replace your AirPort Extreme if you set it up to run your network as you have the AirPort Extreme. I cannot say whether setting up the TC from scratch will be an "issue" for you, but it should not be since you already know how to set up an AirPort Extreme from scratch.

Since a TC is an AirPort Extreme (with a built-in hard drive), the setup of the TC would be the same that you used previously with the AirPort Extreme.

If you want the performance of the AirPort Extreme with hard drive storage capacity that the Time Capsule offers....with no additional space being consumed....then it would make sense to set up the Time Capsule as your router and storage device.

The downside.....If the TC goes down or has a problem, then you lose both your network router and the hard drive.

Can older Time Capsule be used as external drive MD032LL/A

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.