Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's on MDD Restore Disc 2?

I've recently had to replace the StartUp drive on my MDD G4 1.25, and have used the OS X install discs - which are for OS 10.2, though I intend to work back up to Tiger, 10.4.11.

But in this case, I need OS 9 principally for my video editing software, (Cinestream) as I am in process of completing a long term project with this program.

The set of install discs that came with the MDD include the software restore discs, and it looks like after using Disc #1, that I've installed OS 9 successfully. However, my Disc 2 is scuffed and cannot successfully work. So I'm wondering if there's anything on it that I will need - or can I find these apps elsewhere? My Disc 3 is in good condition, but I haven't tried to install it, since it would be out of order. (Don't know what's on that, either).

MDD G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 6, 2014 7:08 PM

5 replies

May 7, 2014 12:55 PM in response to a brody

Hi, Thanks, I thought it was clear that my MDD was the first type (FW-400) that boots to OS 9, else how could I have a long term project using an OS 9 app?

As mentioned, Restore Disc 1 seems to have, thankfully, reinstalled OS 9 on my Startup Drive after I formatted it with OS 9 drivers, but as my Disc 2 is damaged, I was wondering what I might be missing? The iTunes and QuickTime (as well as Adobe Acrobat) are installed in the earlier versions compatible with OS 9, so those can't be on Disc 2. As for Disc 3, I haven't tried it, but thought I had to insert the three of them in order.

So if you know what's on #2, that would be great.

Also, As I've just brought OS 10 up to v. 10.4.11, I'm aware of certain downloads, called Firmware (updates?) that can improve performance and fix certain issues relating to freezes, hangs and crashes - as I sometimes experience in OS 9 in particular, but which also occur as the 'spinning beachball' in OSX. Again, I'm starting with a new system on both, so if you can recommend any, I'd be grateful.

I should mention that I have plenty of memory - I think the 2 GB is the maximum anyway for this 11 year old G4, and I have an Apple Hardware Test disc, as well as Tech Tool Lite and Disk First Aid...should any of these be helpful in analyzing and possibly repairing problems that may arise.

Keith

May 7, 2014 3:04 PM in response to keithgvp

I seem to be encountering some OS 9 problems already: notably, no audio. Could that a component of some sort included in the Disc 2 mentioned here? In Os 9, my iTunes interface is visible, but any audio files aren't audible when trying to play. I also checked in the Sound panel of Controls, and I can't play any tones or alerts. What could be the problem? The Sound window is checked at play through (whatever) and is Line In. Any changes still offer no sound...and in fact, the Speakable Items window froze when I tried that one and then clicked on a button there. I had to Force Quit. Could there be an Extensions issue?

Hate to say this, but I've spent days reinstalling hard and software, and am worn out. Any help with this is very appreciated, thanks.

I should add that I have audio on OS 10.4.11 with no problems, and no other system problems there, either.

May 7, 2014 6:54 PM in response to keithgvp

It must be a Mac miracle, but it's now working - audio, and everything in OS 9. It must have been the re-start that 'healed' it. this rates a smily, as I don't think I can give myself a green star. 🙂

There does seem to be some occasional freeze issues - namely when I tried sleep mode, but there may be ways to deal with this. Suggestions welcome.

Would still like to know what's on Disc 2.

May 8, 2014 5:37 AM in response to keithgvp

You may have to visit some Apple usergroups to see if anyone has that disc:

http://www.apple.com/usergroups/

The other thing to recognize, sleep issues often are resolved by not hooking up any non-Apple USB devices after the machine wakes up, but before the next restart. USB ports go into low power mode when they wake from sleep. A wall powered USB hub can usually resolve that issue.

What's on MDD Restore Disc 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.