Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail hasn't worked since "move" to iCloud, yet it does on new iPhone & Lion ?!

Mail hasn't worked since "move" to iCloud, yet it does with no effort on my part on new iPhone & Lion ?!

As I wrote in an Apple Discussions Post in August 2012 :

"When Mobileme ended June 30th, I waited a few hours after migrating thru the Apple provided links, but nothing was happening. ( I may have neglected to restart, if that made a likely difference )

So I followed Wilmut's advice here and changed a bunch of settings like IMAP-this and SMTP-that

http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/icloudmail.html"

Since then, I have been loathe to dive back in again and try to comprehend total confusion.
It quickly feels like a funhouse hall of mirrors where B needs A to clear up C, but C needs A to be updated by B !! . . or multi-level brain-twisters like that.

I recently recieved a replacement for my 2006 24" iMac . . a late 2009 running Lion.

But not wanting to abandon all my apps and preferneces on Leopard, I continue to boot to an external clone volume, where Mail never fails to toss out that familar window ---:

"The SMTP server “smtp.mail.me.com” rejected the password for user “David Roberts”

Please re-enter your password, or cancel." --- over and over and over !

Yet !! . . . installing a newly purchased Lion today ( on the native drive of the late 2009 ), and buying a refurbished iPhone 4s last Friday ( to replace the one that was stolen just weeks after my 2006 imac went kerblooey ) . . these both connected to iCloud automatically and I have no problem sending and recieving mail like a bona fide person !!!

My question would seem to be -- what's still wrong or different on the HD clone with Leopard ?
Is there a difference I can find, or something I can redo with the iCloud account that will allow Mac Mail to work again ??

( iCloud Mail is just so unstable and goofy !! )

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iMac 6,1 / Intel / 24 " / 2 GB Ram / "750" GB / LaCie 500 GB ex

Posted on May 7, 2014 1:39 AM

12 replies

May 7, 2014 2:38 AM in response to Klaus1

And the "new" iPhone with version 6.1.3 can also then, ey ?

So all those sporadic "helpful hints" over the past 2 years missed the Leopard factor then ?
And Mail's rejection of the password was an "uninformed" alert that should've said "Hey, this is Leopard . . why are you even bothering ?!"
Or, more realistically "This will not work with Leopard".

Yeesh !

May 7, 2014 4:05 PM in response to Klaus1

Thanks, but no . . . not the "connection" I meant at all.

Both the iPhone & Lion made their own connection automatically . . fine.

What I said was "Mail on Leopard" . . not working since I followed instructions 2 years ago, during the forced move to iCloud, and somehow ( thru fiddling with IMAP or such ) Mail won't take the iCloud password.

What is there within the example of Lion settings I might correct on Leopard's Mail ?

May 9, 2014 11:29 AM in response to DmR of AtoZ

It can work on 10.4.11 & 10.5.8...

Do not delete the old account yet. sign up for an iCloud account if you haven't.

I understand .mac/.me mail will still come through. Do not delete the old account yet.

You cannot use .mac or MobileMe as type of Account, you have to choose IMAP when setting up, otherwise Mail is hard coded to change imap.mail.me.com to mail.me.com & smtp.mail.me.com to smtp.me.com, no matter what you try to enter.

iCloud Mail setup, do not choose .mac or MobileMe as type, but choose IMAP...

On second step where it asks "Description", it has to be a unique name, but you can still use your email address.

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com

• SSL Required: Yes

• Port: 993

• Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

• Password: Your iCloud password

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com

• SSL Required: Yes

• Port: 587

• SMTP Authentication Required: Yes

• Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

• Password: Your iCloud password

Also, you must upgrade your password to meet the new criteria: 8 characters, including upper and lower case and numbers. If you have an older password that does not meet these criteria, when you try to setup mail on your mac, using all of the IMAP criteria listed above, it will still give a server error message. Go to http://appleid.apple.com then follow directions to change your password, then go back to setting up your mail using the IMAP instructions above.

Thanks to dpepper...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3867171?tstart=0

May 9, 2014 2:15 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BD !
Lordy !! . . someone who actually gets what I was talkin' about . . .

I haven't time while getting ready for work, but I'm anxious to try this . . . possibly after-work . . maybe Monday evening.

The whole reason I put it off for 2 years, while dealing with iCloud's flaky Mail, is : it can easily be a series of funhouse mirrors and aneurism inducing trying to fix "C" so "A" can see "B", but meanwhile "B" is set to read "G" from "Y" !!

';'

May 9, 2014 2:35 PM in response to DmR of AtoZ

And in some cases it's more difficult, you might have to fool mail by setting up a bogus IMAP account with fake info... wait a long time for Mail to tell you it can't connect to server @ neverwas.com before being alowed to continue, then failing to contact the server again, but one finished making the account you can go back & change the Servers to Apple's.

Mail hasn't worked since "move" to iCloud, yet it does on new iPhone & Lion ?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.