Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost serial number…?

Hi Gang,

Apple just replaced my faulty motherboard.

And I just tried to open my Aperture. And Aperture wants me to write in my serial number before it will load. I'm 3,000 miles from home - where I will have written down the serial number. It may be that I did buy the boxed version - I think I originally bought the boxed version, then purchased the next version online at Apple store.

Might the serial number be somehow findable somewhere in my system?

Or, is there any record of it online in my Apple account?

All ears,

Ben

MacBook Pro (15-inch Glossy), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 7, 2014 6:43 AM

15 replies

May 7, 2014 7:10 AM in response to Ben Low

I just went online to my Apple account. Odd. I've purchased numerous apps over the last year or so, and there is only record of one purchase. I KNOW I purchased FCP X online less than a year ago, and it isn't there.

I'm wondering - I may have purchased the apps using my Mac tower setup back home, instead of this laptop, (before putting a copy on my laptop). Would that make any difference?

So, re-downloading Aperture from my online account won't work. I would have thought that somehow there would be a record of the purchase AND the serial numbers up there. I have a vauge memory of doing a successful re-download a few years ago, from my Apple account.

B

May 7, 2014 7:13 AM in response to Ben Low

- I think I originally bought the boxed version, then purchased the next version online at Apple store.

Ben, there is no other record of your serial number, than the leaflet in the box with the installer, or, if you bought the Aperture 3 upgrade online from the Apple Store, you will have received an email with the serial number.

Did you upgrade to Aperture 3.5.1 and Mavericks, before your serial board was replaced? Then check, if you see Aperture on the Purchased tab of the App Store, when you sign in with your AppleID. If you see Aperture among your purchases, you should be able to simply delete your restored Aperture copy and download it again from the App Store. Only, this may not work, if you are not in the country, where you originally accepted Aperture to your AppleID - you need to download from the ApppStore, where you bought it.

If you not yet upgraded to Aperture 3.5.1, contact Apple for a replacement serial number, see this document: Pro Application Replacement Serial Numbers http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1861

May 7, 2014 7:18 AM in response to Ben Low

I've purchased numerous apps over the last year or so, and there is only record of one purchase. I KNOW I purchased FCP X online less than a year ago, and it isn't there.

What is your current MacOS X version? Is it still "Mac OS X (10.6.8)" as in your signature, or have you upgraded to a newer version with Mac AppStore?

The purchases from the MacAppStore are bound to the MAc AppStore of the country you are in.

I'm 3,000 miles from home

Are you now in a different country and connected to a different Store?

May 7, 2014 7:23 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie,

I've got someone checking for an Aperture box in my office at home. But I think the last version I bought I got online.

I'm in the OS just below Mavericks. I'm running Final Cut 7 and Premiere CS6 for work ... and don't want to risk the problems I might have on Mavericks.

So I haven't upgraded to Aperture 3.5.1 (I see my version is 3.4.5).

I will try for a replacement number, following your links. And report back here and hit the 'This solved my question' button.

I see you've just given me another answer. I'll finish this, and check out your next...

B

May 7, 2014 7:38 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie,

Duh. I have accounts at both the US and Canada stores of Apple. AND, the history of both is identical - one single purchase. Which is frustrating, coz I've purchased a lot of things from the Apple Store. Mmmm. I wonder. App Store on iTunes. That's where I was getting apps! But no Aperture there.

AND... I see your next note is my solution. Will go to it and click that little green ball with the white arrow.

May 7, 2014 7:48 AM in response to Ben Low

There are so many different Stores:

The "Apple Store" sold the boxed versions and the early online versions of Aperture - till MacOS X 10.6.8. This is where you will have bought Aperture, if it needs a serial number.

The "Mac App Store" (The "A" in the Dock) sells the Mac applications since MacOS X 10.7, Lion: If you bought your Aperture update after LIon, without a serial number, you bought it here.

User uploaded file

And the "AppStore" in iTunes sells the iOS apps for your mobile devices.

May 7, 2014 7:52 AM in response to léonie

Thank you. Cool. Now I understand. I just sent a note to someone staying at my house ... which should solve my Aperture issue.

I just booted up my Logic Audio ... and discovered some expensive high-end plugs are now requiring re-authorization. Which would be simple - except they are already there authorized on my online account with them. And now I'm wondering if I re-authorize the dang things, is that going to mess up things.

The joys of upgrading operating systems.

I went to take a quick FCP X course at Apple yesterday - only to discover I'm now a version behind, and they've changed a lot of the protocol of the app. And to get up-to-date I have to move to Mavericks ... which can be very unfriendly to FCP 7 and Premiere CS6, on which I have large projects being edited.

Onward, upward...

Ben

May 7, 2014 8:07 AM in response to Ben Low

You're welcome.

I just booted up my Logic Audio ... and discovered some expensive high-end plugs are now requiring re-authorization.

Before you upgrade to Mavericks, check your Audio Units and audio interfaces. I cannot speak for Logic, I do not use it often, but since the newest GarageBand version (which is a kind of Logic Light), quite a few Audio units, VST plug-ins, audio interfaces stopped working, or at least needed upgrading. GarageBand is now completely 64 bit, and does no longer support 32bit audio units, and the plug-ins require sandboxing, see:

GarageBand for Mac (v10.0): Unexpected behavior with Audio Units plug-ins

Logic Pro/Express 9, GarageBand '11: May quit unexpectedly when opening with Melodyne installed

May 7, 2014 8:36 AM in response to léonie

Thank you L.,

Yeah. And I wonder how a brand new motherboard fits into all that. I've sent off a query to Spectrosonics about workarounds etc.

I think I may do some waiting before heading to Mavericks. Ironic. I've been avoiding FCP X for a year. And when I finally decide to make the effort to learn the beast...

I tried to use the earlier version when taking my Apple 'lesson' yesterday. They've changed the FCP menus (again) and what looks like a bunch of stuff. A brain bender.

Thanks again, very helpful. I've got a whole passel of AU's and VST's. Would hate to lose them.

B

May 7, 2014 8:43 AM in response to Ben Low

And Melodyne too!! Dang. I use it all the time.

The plug-in is still working, if you update to the latest version, only Rewire is a problem.

Just one more note: If your Aperture 3 licence is an upgrade licence from Aperture 2 and not a full Aperture licence, the Aperture 3 licence key alone will not work. Then your friends at home will still have to track down the box with Aperture 2 serial number. 😟

Lost serial number…?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.