Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.9.2 install Bootcamp win7 64bit iMac mid 2010 no bootable device - external superdrive, USB Stick

Hey all,

big problem here.

Trying to install Bootcamp on my iMac 27" mid 2010.

The thing is, during the installation, i get the "no bootable device" black screen, and i think i know why... but i need help.

System, a mid 2010 imac, 2TB HD ( Original) and an SSD Samsung 1TB at the Optical Drive SATA connection.

2TB HD is empty atm. OSX Installed on the SSD.

Bootcamp Assistant. Problem nr. 1.

He first did not want to let me create an USB drive. after hacking the assistat, deleting the "Pre" thing in the info.plist, that worked so far.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5479879?start=105&tstart=0 and several other postings got me so far.

Then when using the assistant, after choosing partition and so, when the iMac restarts, i get the "no bootable device" notice.

Read a lot, and it seems, that older iMacs, that originaly came with an internal superdrive only can install win 7 from that internal superdrive.

I have the problem, that i had it removed to put the SSD there.

So, when doing an EFI Boot, choosing the win USB Stick or the Win in my External Superdrive, - "no bootable...."

So i searched more. rEFIt should help. Installed, and all, doesnt work, same thing. As soon as i want to boot Win from the CD or Thumpdrive, doesnt work. :-(

In one of the many posts, someone wrote something about starting Shell in rEFIt first, etc... didnt work as well.

then i found this post:

http://www.andrewsavory.com/blog/2011/2156

sounded promissing. Somehow getting win installation files onto the Created Bootcamp partion with Virtual Mashine. But it didnt work for me.

The VW Fusion ware is different, and non of the steps he discribes works.

So how can i get it working.. it seems like it is somehow blocked to access something from the USB Ports.

Logicaly i would have to get the installation files onto a Internal drive. i Tried to create a partition and copy the Win 7 USB Thump using Disk Util Progeam onto a seperate, internal partition.. but he just does not what to do that... errormessages when trying to copy it, recreate the drive, etc.

So, i do have a 2TB internal HD, which i can use, an external superdrive, USB.Sticks. any gameplan?

And for Error-excluding: i have an original Win 7 64 bit CD, a burnd one and controled the Hash of the loaded ISO, which i downloaded for the USB-Stick.

Any help? pls!!!

Posted on May 7, 2014 6:52 AM

There are no replies.

10.9.2 install Bootcamp win7 64bit iMac mid 2010 no bootable device - external superdrive, USB Stick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.