Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to use my iphone5 Apple ID on my iPad Air W/cellular or create a new Apple ID

I have a Verizon Share everything plan 2 iPhones & a new iPad Air W/ wifi + cellular so I'm using the same Apple ID as my phone ,not my husbands it's different, I need to know how the 2 phones & the iPad should be set up ID wise? It's my iPad not my husbands but we are on the share plan so? Do I need different Apple ID 's for all devices ? And what about iCloud? Same or different for each ? FaceTime, messages, giving me a fit. We're on same plan but 2 devices are mine so the information I send and receive doesn't need to go to his phone. Please advise me anyone. Thanks for any directs u share

iPhone 5, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 7, 2014 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2014 11:03 AM

Its best to use the same Apple ID on hyour phone and ipad, that way you can choose what items to share between them, like messages, or apps and games.

It will not affect your Verizon plan at all. or your husbands phone either.

9 replies

May 7, 2014 11:06 AM in response to Karen0219

Apple ID's are independent to your cellular plan.

You would want to have the same Apple ID for your devices, but one that is different from the one your husband uses on his devices. So your iPad and iPhone should use your Apple ID for both ( not your husband's)

This again has nothing to do with how your cellular plan is set up.

For messages you absolutely want different Apple IDs for you and your Husband.

You may choose to share an Apple ID for purchases in iTunes and App Stores so you are able to share that content, while keeping Messages and Facetime separate.

You can go to:

Settings->iTunes & App Store

Settings->Facetime

Settings->Messages

And Manage your Apple Id for each service independently

May 7, 2014 11:14 AM in response to Karen0219

The benefits of what Phil is advising are that if your husband buys an app or a song, you can download it onto your devices if you share the ID for that usage. You don't have to download the content that your husband does if you don't want to, but it saves you paying for it twice

There is an important downside to consider though - if you download an app that you want to use to play a game against other people - Words with Friends for example, that game/app will sync across devices. So for the general price of apps and iTunes contents, I would always advise keeping your own seperate Apple ID for everything, unless you really don't wish to have any individuality in your choice of downloaded material.

May 7, 2014 11:50 AM in response to Karen0219

So you don't want to share content between your own devices? Lets forget about your husbands devices or a moment. Your iPad and your iPhone will be completely separate?

Again Verizon has nothing to do with your Apple Id or Apps you download. Separate company, and it only provides the cellular service nothing more. You can't store Apps from Apple App store in their cloud.

If your husband buys an App, and you share the Apple Id for downloads you could potentially download that App if you wanted to for free, no extra purchase necessary.

Now if your iPhone and iPad have different Apple IDs to each other, then you can;t share the Apps on one to the other. That is the Apps bought with the Apple Id on the iPhone would need to be bought again by the iPad Apple Id if you wanted to download them to it.

Other than that the recommended option is to have your devices have the same Apple ID but s still different to the one your husband uses.

Do I need to use my iphone5 Apple ID on my iPad Air W/cellular or create a new Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.