Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac apple mail 6.6 won't sometimes send

I am having trouble with Apple Mail 6.6.

A couple of times a day it won't send outgoing mail and of course it always happens when I'm in a hurry. The rest of the time it is working fine. I host my account at GoDaddy and they have confirmed that alll of my mail settings are correct.

POP Account, Outgoing mail server (SMTP) smtpout.secureserver.net: (my email address), Port 110 (confirmed with GoDaddy). "Use SSL" is unchecked (confirmed with GoDaddy).

The message I receive is:

"Cannot send message using the server smtpout.secureserver.net: (my email address). Sending the message content to the server failed. Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent."

It gives me the option to check the connection status which show that both incoming and outgoing connections are successful.

I am using an iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7.
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

OS X Version 10.8.5

Apple Mail Version 6.6

I appreciate any help. Let me know if any further information is required.

Thank you!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 7, 2014 11:22 AM

8 replies

May 7, 2014 1:37 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 Thank you for your reply. I read the article you linked. According to the artice I am having "Issue 1" the resolution that's recommended is to install OS X 10.5.5 or later. I am running OS X 10.8.5. I have checked with my hosting provider - GoDaddy and confirmed that all of my settings are correct. I have also checked the connection status which shows that both incoming and outgoing connections are successful.

Do you have any other thoughts that might help?

Thank you!

Sep 4, 2014 1:15 AM in response to tdexter13

I've run into this scenario a couple of times and "fixed" it. I'm just not sure which of the two fixes I applied was the one that did the trick.

First of all I added Google's public DNS to my ISP's default. I don't think that's what did it but I still have the two of them in there and my mail is still going.

The other thing I did was to pause some of the cloud syncing on the off chance that there was so much "traffic" that mail couldn't maintain the outgoing connection. I paused Dropbox, Google Drive and CrashPlan sync'ing and restarted Mail (not the iMac - just Mail) and Bob's your uncle, I haven't had a bit of trouble since. Hope that's a help. I'd be interested to know if it works for anyone else.

Sep 8, 2014 8:32 AM in response to tdexter13

Try to edit the message and then close it but don't save it (copy and paste content somewhere if you want). Then check your settings to make sure they are correct using the site https://ssl.apple.com/support/mail-settings-lookup/

Go to your email that your are using (in safari or whatever browser you use) and log into it to make sure you know your user name and password. Then go in and check your settings and make sure the settings are correct. If those setting are correct remove or delete the account and re-add it.

If that doesn't work you'll probably need to either rebuild or or reindex the mail. To rebuild you would go to Mailbox>Rebuild (at the bottom). For the reindexing 1) quit mail (mail menu>quit mail)

2) Open Finder: Click Go at the top of your screen and click Library (hold option for it Library to appear) then Mail then V2 then MailData and delete all files starting with Envelope Index

3) Open Mail

Mail may take a few minutes to complete the process.

Hope that works

Dec 8, 2014 6:50 PM in response to tdexter13

I had the same problem, usually when the mail had an attachment. and not a huge attachment, say a photo of 3 mb . and as someone else mentioned stopping dropbox syncing cured the problem. what i dont understand is my macbook had been on several hours sometimes so why dropbox was still syncing and using up bandwidth i have no idea especially as i hadnt added anything to dropbox for weeks.

imac apple mail 6.6 won't sometimes send

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.