Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I see My Photo Stream from two Macs associated with the same Apple ID?

I have a MacBook Pro (my personal machine) and an iMac (our family computer).

The iPhoto library housing all of our family photos lives on the iMac.

The iPhoto library on my MacBook Pro is currently empty.

I have an account on both machines. I have associated the same Apple ID with both machines.

When I launch iPhoto on my MacBook Pro and attempt to turn on photo sharing (so that I can see My Photo Stream, as well as other shared streams), iPhoto informs me that "iCloud Photos for xxx@xxx is being used with another library named 'iPhoto Library'."

My iPhone, which is also affiliated with the same Apple ID, shows the streams just fine.

What can I do to remedy this situation? I'd like to be able to view my shared streams on my MacBook Pro, while leaving the actual massive photo library on the iMac.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 7, 2014 11:35 AM

15 replies

May 7, 2014 12:27 PM in response to Laird Nelson

Do you have more than one iPhtoo library on your Mac? iCloud is only associated with one library - it sounds like you have more than one and iCloud is associated with a different one that your current default library - if log out of iCloud in the system preferences, switch to the library you want to use and log back into iCloud in the system preferences and to your Photo stream in the iPhtoo preferences

LN

May 7, 2014 1:03 PM in response to Laird Nelson

One thing that I suspect might be the problem—though it really shouldn't be :-)—is that originally I did the following:

• Started out with my MacBook pro with a big iPhoto library and with my iMac with no iPhoto library.
  • Verified that iPhoto was off on both machines.
  • Backed up the old iPhoto library (empty) on the iMac.
  • Backed up the full iPhoto library on the MacBook Pro.
  • Copied the full iPhoto library from the MacBook Pro to the iMac.
  • Deleted the full iPhoto library from the MacBook Pro.
  • (Result at this time is: the iMac has the full library (reads it just fine; behaves normally); the MacBook Pro now has a brand new (empty) library and cannot view My Photo Stream due to the errors originally cited in this discussion.)

It is as though there is some machine-tied affiliation in the library itself that makes the MacBook Pro now think that another MacBook-Pro-affiliated iPhoto library is present.

Jul 21, 2014 6:06 PM in response to Laird Nelson

I found out about this issue when I created a new library with some photo's I wanted to sync to my iCloud account. I found the following on the Fat Cat Software page and thought it might be helpful to others:

Using Photo Stream with multiple libraries

Starting in iPhoto 9.2, Apple introduced a new feature called Photo Stream, which lets you automatically transfer photos via their iCloud service between your iPhoto library and your other devices such as an iPhone, iPad, or another Mac. This feature works when you have multiple iPhoto libraries set up, but there are a couple things to be aware of.

First, iPhoto will only allow Photo Stream to be active in one iPhoto library at any given time. If you've already enabled Photo Stream in one library, but then open a second library and enable Photo Stream there, this will cause Photo Stream to be turned off in the first library.

Any photos downloaded by Photo Stream are actually stored in an entirely separate location from any of your iPhoto libraries. This means that, even if you do switch Photo Stream from one library to another, you will not need to go through redownloading all the photos you already have in Photo Stream back from the iCloud servers. So, switching Photo Stream from one library to another is a relatively inexpensive operation, so you can do it as often as needed without it being much of a hassle.

Jan 13, 2015 10:12 PM in response to Laird Nelson

I saw the same error message, finding this discussion after a bit of Googling. My story is similar: My ~40GB iPhoto library was moved (exact file copy) from my old 2009 Macbook Pro to a brand new 2014 rMBP. Both computers are signed in to the same iCloud account, both computers have the exact same login username. iPhoto and iCloud work just fine on the new computer with the old library. Working on my old Macbook, I decided to create a Photo Stream-only library so that I could still access my pictures. When I went to enable it, I got the same error message as the original post. Deciding to take a slight risk (as I had my photo stream already fully imported), I clicked "continue" to enable Photo Stream anyway. To my surprise, it worked. Both macbooks plus my iPhone can add to and delete from the photo stream, with the results being shown on the other two devices within seconds.

I think that it should work with only the click through, but in case that's not the 100% solution, here's everything I tried (in order) up through the "continue" on the error message. For simplification {TEST} will represent relaunching iPhoto on the old computer (the iCloud-only one) and trying to enable Photo Stream, but usually stopping at the error message and clicking "cancel".

• Disable and reenable iCloud Sharing on the new computer; {TEST}
  • Disable and reenable iCloud Sharing in System Preferences on the old Macbook; {TEST}
  • Rename my iPhoto library from "iPhoto Library.photolibrary" to "iPhoto Library @ [hostname].photolibrary"
  • (this one gets a bit technical at the end) Open "Pictures/[iPhoto Library]/iLifeShared/AlbumData2.xml" and change the <string>...</string> under <key>Archive Path</key> to match the updated iPhoto Library name. For me, it was line 7. If you're not comfortable with XML/PLIST/HTML, you may want to find someone who is for this edit.
  • {TEST}
  • Then I gave up and clicked "continue"

If just clicking through doesn't work, my best bet for what actually fixed it was changing the iPhoto Library path.

How can I see My Photo Stream from two Macs associated with the same Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.