Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i changed my apple id, now phone is stuck...

i logged in to myapple on computer and changed my apple id.

now icloud account on my iphone is the old email address.
I can't delete teh old acccount because i have to enter the password for the old account to turn off find my iphone.

but the old password doesn't get recognized.

how do i get the old icluod account off the phone so i can add the new one?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 7, 2014 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2014 8:29 PM

Hi jennoneal,

You need to do the following:

1. Log onto Manage your Apple ID and change your Apple ID back to the old ID that is still signed on under iCloud (this is temporary. Do NOT verify it, do NOT change the password): Apple - My Apple ID

2. Go to Settings>iCloud, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Delete Account. Use your current password when asked, then follow the prompts to delete the iCloud account

3. Go back to Manage your Apple ID and change your Apple ID back to the new ID (you may need to verify it)

4. Go back to Settings>iCloud and sign on with your new Apple ID

Cheers,

GB

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2014 8:29 PM in response to jennoneal21

Hi jennoneal,

You need to do the following:

1. Log onto Manage your Apple ID and change your Apple ID back to the old ID that is still signed on under iCloud (this is temporary. Do NOT verify it, do NOT change the password): Apple - My Apple ID

2. Go to Settings>iCloud, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Delete Account. Use your current password when asked, then follow the prompts to delete the iCloud account

3. Go back to Manage your Apple ID and change your Apple ID back to the new ID (you may need to verify it)

4. Go back to Settings>iCloud and sign on with your new Apple ID

Cheers,

GB

May 7, 2014 8:38 PM in response to jennoneal21

Basically, you have to sign in under the previous Apple ID, so you can sign out of all the iCloud services that use it.

If that's not working for you read the following:

iOS 7: If you're asked for the password to your previous Apple ID when signing out of iCloud

There are three steps, be sure to follow all of them.

The following may help explain the reason this occurred:

Apple ID: What to do after you change your Apple ID

It would be nice if Apple placed more emphasis on this excerpt from Changing your Apple ID

Before you change your Apple ID:

Sign out of all Apple features and services that you use with your current Apple ID.

I interpret that to apply to all your devices - Macs as well as iOS. Signing out of all services on all devices prior to changing one's Apple ID will preclude this problem from occurring.

Sep 19, 2014 3:48 AM in response to John Galt

Hi there, my situation is the above but when I try to go back into my AppleID to temporarily change it back (so I can log out of iCloud on my iPhone, delete the account and then sign back in with my new ID) I get the message "you may have an account with this email(sign-in) associated with it already. Please sign in with your current Id." leaves me with iCloud on my iPhone stuck looking for the old Apple ID account details to sign out. The Find My iPhone being set to "On" on the phone is the problem. I know now that if ever doing this again, I must sign out of all devices first but now no iCloud synching through from my other devices to my iPhone. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

Sep 19, 2014 3:57 AM in response to No5_TheRedDoor

P.S. also just to be clear, my old AppleID sign-in /id name is an email address, a gmail one. So, effectively AppleID won't let me re-set my ID with those details as it sees that sign-in(email address) as already associated with my Apple ID and therefore not qualifying as such, to be considered for a new(temporary) account sign-in. Head scratching stuff. I guess I could wipe the iPhone (after back-up) and re-install the OS - seems a bit drastic though..

Alan

😠

Sep 19, 2014 11:10 AM in response to No5_TheRedDoor

That is because when you changed from your Gmail Apple ID to your current Apple ID, you created a new Apple ID (rather than editing the old one), so the old one still exists as a separate entity.

To remedy your issue go to Manage your Apple ID and click on Reset Password. Then sign on with your Gmail (old) ID. It will ask you to answer your Security Questions. If you cannot answer them, contact Apple Support to get them reset so you can reset the password on that old ID. Once you get the password reset you will then be able delete your iCloud account by signing on with your old ID and the new password that you set on it.

Manage your Apple ID: Apple - My Apple ID

Apple Support for getting Security Questions reset: ACCOUNT SECURITY CONTACT NUMBERS

Cheers,

GB

i changed my apple id, now phone is stuck...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.